CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1285744
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285744.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:13:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Corsley
National Grid Reference:
ST 82878 46733

Details

CORSLEY CORSLEY VILLAGE ST 84 NW (north side) 7/68 Church of St Margaret of Antioch 11.9.68 GV II Anglican parish church. 1833 by John Leachman, on site of Medieval chapel of ease, restored 1891 by F.W. Hunt. Coursed rubble stone, Welsh slate roof. Chancel and nave with gallery under one roof, west tower over entrance. Central double ribbed west doors in Tudor-arched surround with square hoodmould, flanking Tudor-arched doors with dripstones to lean-to vestibules. Four-stage Perpendicular-style tower has diagonal buttresses, second stage has 3-light Perpendicular-style windows with hoodmould, oculi to north and south, circular clock face to west side of third stage and 2- light louvred windows to bellstage, cornice to battlemented parapet. South side of tower has chamfered lancet to vestibule to left, nave and chancel to right have four tall recessed lancets with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds, buttresses with offsets between. Roof verges with saddleback coping on large kneelers. East end has diagonal buttresses, 3-light east window. North side has four tall lancets as south side. Interior: Side entrances into vestibules with staircases to gallery; stick balusters and turned newels. West gallery on four cast-iron columns, front with cusped panels and Royal Arms of George III. Roof over nave and chancel of very shallow pitch with rib panels. East end has Tudor-arched panel around window with attached shafts and stencilled decoration, reredos with prayer boards. Early C18 hexagonal pulpit with inlaid panels and C20 steps. Mid C19 stone octagonal font with traceried panels below gallery. 1889 pews and choir stalls on dais at east end. Stained glass in east window of 1908 by H.J. Salisbury, 1960s glass in south west window by Hugh Powell. Some monuments from earlier church; slate and stone tablet on south wall to Thomas Aylesbury rector died 1724, large classical marble on east wall to Nathaniel Barton died 1828, several marbles signed Chapman of Frome, for example to John Carpenter died 1812. Wooden benefactions boards also retained; in main entrance dated 1688 and on south wall dated 1634. Six C18 bells cast by Cockey of Frome rehung in this church. (P.H. Gough, The Storey of Corsley and its Church, 1966; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST8287846733

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313706
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gough, P H, The Story of Corsley and its Church, (1966)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07178/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].