CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1285863
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1956
Date of most recent amendment:
18-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR, ENSTONE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:40:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR, ENSTONE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Westcot Barton
National Grid Reference:
SP 43094 25685

Details

WESTCOT BARTON ENSTONE ROAD SP42NW (South side) 6/214 Church of St. Edward the 27/08/56 Confessor (Formerly listed as Church of St. Edward) GV II*

Church. C12 and C15, restored 1856 by G.E. Street. Limestone rubble and ashlar; Stonesfield-slate and Welsh-slate roofs. 3-bay nave, south aisle and porch, chancel and west tower. C15 ashlar chancel, with moulded plinth and steeply-pitched stone-slated roof, has square-headed 2-light side windows with casement mouldings, ogee tracery and labels, a 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery in a 4-centred arch, and has a 4-centre arched priest's door on the south. Narrow south aisle, of earlier rubble masonry, has two C15 windows, the east window cutting through the base of a lancet, and a similar C19 window west of the porch. The C15 crenellated ashlar porch has an outer arch with a continuous casement moulding and a C19 wooden dog gate, and has a sundial inscribed on the gable, above which a smaller sundial has been reset. The C15 nave has a deep moulded plinth, a crenellated parapet, and the 3 windows to north are similar to those in the chancel. C15 crenellated 3-stage tower, with a moulded plinth and diagonally-set crocketted pinnacles, has a west window of 3 uncusped lights in a 4-centred arch. Interior: chancel has a cusped aumbry niche by Street. Pointed Transitional chancel arch has moulded square imposts and a chamfered western face. The 2-bay arcade has round arches and a circular pier with scallop capital. All 3 have C19 stencilled decorations. C12 tomb recess in aisle has carved chevron and cable decoration. C19 roofs. Fine C15 chancel screen has a gate, traceried panels, and a vine cornice; it was restored by Street and painted by the Rev. E.L. Lockyer. C19 fittings throughout except the restored C15 pulpit with traceried panels. Stained glass of 1855 by Hardman in west window; of 1913 in east window. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.81; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.832-3).

Listing NGR: SP4309425685

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252030
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 832-3
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 81

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05565/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].