MILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1285943
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
MILL HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 04:26:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILL HOUSE, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Alpheton
National Grid Reference:
TL8785949205

Details

TL 84 NE 922/6/24 10-JAN-1953

ALPHETON BRIDGE STREET MILL HOUSE

GV II*

House. C14, C15 and C16 with later alterations. Roughcast and colour~washed timber-frame with plain-tile roof and brick stacks. PLAN: Hall house with 2 cross wings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3-windows at first floor. C20 cross-casements: 2-light, 3-light and 3-light with low 3-light to 1st floor centre. 6-panel part-glazed door to centre left with moulded wood architrave and a flat hood on brackets. Further casements and door to left end. French window with some coloured margin glass to right end and doors and casements to rear. Date 1574 on left cross wing gable and the right cross wing has a jettied 1st floor and date 1923 in gable. INTERIOR: Cross passage has shallow plaster vault. Dining hall to right has floor inserted into the open hall in C16 and has broad chamfered bridging beam with ogee stops. A massive brick stack inserted Cl5 has open fireplace with 4-centre arched niches and above it a recessed panel, the head formed of a series of moulded brick gablets of semi-quatrefoils supported on miniature corbels. Wall painting on opposite wall, almost entirely renewed/repainted. Over the bedrooms is the smoke-blackened 2~bay crown post roof with arched braces to the tie from moulded and brattished corbels and the crown post having braces to the collars. Cross~wing to left has massive close-studded framing visible on ground floor including a blocked 4-centre arched doorway. Kitchen to rear has open fireplace with smoke bay. Upper floor is partly open and has long been used for storage. Framing of much lighter scanning includes tie beam trusses with curved braces and square crown posts supporting collar purlin and upper collars. Long diagonal braces over rafters. Small section of wall painting resembling rusticated stonework. Wing to right has sitting room with C18 shell-headed open corner cupboard with further cupboard behind. A fine timber-framed house with very significant survivals from the C14 and C15.

Listing NGR: TL8785949205

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277820
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].