CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285945.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:19:57.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Suffolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 71453 82744
TL 7182, 11/25
LAKENHEATH, HIGH STREET
Church of St. Mary
Church. Mediaeval with restorations of 1892 and 1904. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower and west schoolroom. Walling of rubble with freestone dressings: C12 work in Carrstone rubble (reused in later alterations, which also employ rubble of limestone, flint and clunch). C18 repairs in gault brick; the west, C18 extension in flint rubble with random headers and quoins of pink brick. Roofs mainly flat, leaded with parapets and parapet gables; chancel roof slated.
Part of the C12 chancel survives; chancel arch with round-arched moulded head on three orders of engaged columns with scalloped capitals. A small section of wall arcading on the north wall was originally continued around the apsidal east end. Part of a blocked C12 lancet is visible in north wall. The C14 south nave arcade stands on the stumps of circular columns, apparently of C12, with octagonal bases, suggesting a former C12 south aisle. The chancel was extended mid C13; in north wall a lancet and a broad blocked arch into a chapel (now demolished); a C13 doorway was moved into the arch later. Tower added mid C13; blocked lancets in north and in south walls, pointed tower arch and west doorway which has niche above. A 3-light south chancel window was added c.1300. North aisle was added mid C14 in two stages, with 2- and 3-light net traceried windows and moulded north doorway and a circular east window over the side-altar. The south arcade was rebuilt C14; the octagonal piers have shallow blank arches carved just below the capitals. In later C14, the tower was raised with 2-light belfry windows, crenellated parapets and moulded cornice with carved mask gargoyles. On each corner of the tower stand limestone figures. South and north porches added late C14; the south has mask-carved kneelers to the parapet gables, both have the bases of gable-crosses. The south doorway is of C14, but the aisle walling was almost rebuilt C15, with 3-light square- headed windows; a similar window with segmental head was inserted in east wall of chancel. Nave roof raised C15; five bays of arch-braced tie-beams with wall- pieces on limestone corbels, with queen posts, principal rafters and purlins. Secondary trusses have angel-carved hammer beams. Angels also embellish tie beams and cornices, and spandrels are filled with tracery. 2-light clerestory windows and another of three lights (blocked) over chancel arch. To the west wall of tower was added a schoolroom in C18; pointed chamfered arched doorway with C18 panelled pair of doors and fanlight above. In the north and south walls are reused C15 single-light windows and in west wall a 4-light traceried window; these are believed to be from the ruinous church of St. Peter, Eriswell. The chancel roof was rebuilt 1892.
In the north aisle is a fine C13 font, octagonal, the bowl carved with crocketed arcading, the stem having detached shafts at each corner. Fine late C15 pews with poppyhead ends, buttresses with carved animal and human figures, and pierced backs; a set of eight in south aisle, twenty-one further examples, some altered, in nave; one has carved C17 panelling. Four C15 bench ends have been reused in C19 choir stalls. Fine C15 octagonal pulpit with buttresses at corners and traceried panels. In the south aisle is a restored family pew of c.1600. Traces of wall painting in several areas: on the north nave arcade extensive areas including a C14 figure of St. Edmund and others, overpainted with trailing foliage and abstract patterns. Beside the chancel arch is a figure of Christ, and on the south arcade a black-letter inscription of c.1600. In the south aisle is a Purbeck altar tomb to Simeon Steward, d.1568; Gothic tracery and arched canopy on engaged shafts; his coat of arms is carved in the recess. Inset in the south wall nearby is an oblong marble plaque with coat of arms and inscription to Joan, widow of Simeon Steward, d.1583. In the south aisle is a painted coat of arms of Charles II, 1678. In the nave and south aisle floors are a number of limestone and marble slabs, mainly unmarked, some probably mediaeval. For detailed description of church, see "Suffolk Churches", H. Munroe Cautley.
Listing NGR: TL7145382744
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing