CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1286067
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286067.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:47:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Farnsfield
National Grid Reference:
SK 64609 56540

Details

SK 65 NW FARNSFIELD MAIN STREET (south side)

2/62 Church of St. Michael 11.8.61

G.V. II

Parish church. Early C15. Rebuilt with the exception of part of the tower 1859-60 by Hine and Evans. Ashlar and rock faced ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs to all but the spire which is of plain tiles. Coped gables with decorative kneelers and small decorative ridge finials. Single stack to east end of the south aisle. South west tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, north organ chamber, south vestry and chancel. Buttressed, all but tower set on a low chamfered plinth. Diagonally buttressed ashlar tower. Set on a plinth with moulded band over. The spire topped with a weathervane. 3 stages with bands. The west wall has a single window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch, above is a single arched light. Each side of the bell chamber has a gabled half dormer, coped with decorative label stops. Each with single arched opening with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. Over those of the east and north sides are single clock faces. The west side has 2 rectangular stair openings with a single opening to the south side. to the left of the tower is the west wall of the nave with 2 arched lights each with hood mould and label stops. Above is a single arched window with 3 trefoils, hood mould and label stops. Projecting from this wall is a C20 brick and felt extension. The west end of the north aisle has a single arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall has a single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. Gabled porch, engaged colonnettes with decorative capitals support the pointed moulded arched entrance with hood mould and human head label stops. The side walls each have single small windows with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery and flat arch. Inner doorway with 2 engaged colonnettes and decorative capitals supporting the pointed moulded arch. to the left of the porch are 2 arched windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. In the clerestory are 4 gabled half dormers each coped with decorative label stops and with single arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. The east end of the north organ chamber has a single arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. The apsidal chancel has 3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. Adjacent the south east side is a single rectangular ashlar head stone to John Robin, 1671. The east vestry has a single trefoil arched light and the south wall a Caernarvon arched doorway. The east wall of the south aisle has a single arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall has 2 arched windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a pointed arched doorway, 2 engaged colonnettes with decorative capitals support the moulded arch with hood mould and human head label stops. The south clerestory corresponds to the north, however there are only 3 dormers. Interior. 3 bay south arcade and 4 bay north arcade both with round columns and responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The south aisle/tower arch is chamfered to arch only. The double chamfered chancel arch is supported each side on responds of triple shafts with moulded capitals. North aisle/north organ chamber chamfered arch. Possible C12 circular font set on to a circular pedestal and base. Remaining furniture C19 and C20. On the north tower wall is a monument to William Watson, 1755. The inscription is flanked by Ionic pilasters and decorative floral scrolls, surmounting the inscription is a cherub's head with dentil segmental arch over topped with a decorative urn. The 3 apse windows are by Wailes 1862 and the west nave by Clayton and Bell 1876.

Listing NGR: SK6460956540

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242117
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16506/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mollie Toy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].