CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1286197
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, A6003

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286197.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:28:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, A6003

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Corby (District Authority)
Parish:
Rockingham
National Grid Reference:
SP 86670 91447

Details

SP8691 12/141 25/02/57

ROCKINGHAM A6003 (West side) Church of St. Leonard

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14, destroyed in Civil War but rebuilt 1650 and again in mid Cl9. Limestone and ironstone ashlar with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Nave with north aisle, chancel with north and south chapels and north tower. South chapel of 2 window range of C19 2-light square-head windows with arch-head lights. 3-light east window with C19 Y-tracery and 3-light square-head west window. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet and finials. C19 three-light chancel east window with trefoils and quatrefoil. North vestry attached to north chapel of one window range with 4-light square-head window with arch lights. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. 2-light east window to north chapel. North tower attached to right of vestry of 2 stages. Square base with single-light north window and octagonal upper stage with single-light bell-chamber openings to alternate faces. Conical roof with stone slate covering. South elevation of nave of 3-window range of C19 three-light windows with cusping. 2-stage buttresses between shallow gabled roof with plain parapet. North aisle of 3-window range of C19 three-light windows with shallow segmental arches. Single stage buttresses between windows. West elevation has central C19 gabled projection with arch-head door opening with one order of shafts and foliated capitals. C19 circular window above door is made up of 5 trefoils. Lean-to north aisle to left has one 2-light window. Chancel and north chapel have steeply pitched slate roofs. Interior: 3-bay north arcade to nave of C19 double chamfered and hollowed arches on octagonal piers. C19 double chamfered and hollowed chancel and north chapel arches. Arched opening with plain responds to south chapel. C19 roof structures. Jacobean pulpit with arcade decoration and panelled back. C19 vestry screen, altar reredos and pews. C19 stained glass to all windows, that to north aisle is by Kempe and to south by Hedgeland 1853. C18 style wrought iron communion rail. Font dated 1669 in the form of a crude capital has C17 moulded dado adjacent, similar to pulpit. Monuments: south chapel; Sir Edward Watson died 1713 by William Palmer, standing figure on plinth with flowing drapery flanked by Corinthian pilasters surmounted by draped urns and armorial cartouche. West wall; Lady Arabella Oxenden died 1734; free standing figure on plinth with draped clothing. South wall; Lady Grace Sondes died 1777, large tablet with circular panel with moulded stone surround and moulded cornice. South wall right; Lewis Watson, Lord Sondes died 1795, tablet, surmounted by draped urn. South wall left; Lewis Thomas, Lord Sondes died 1804 and wife, similar with draped urn. Mary Elizabeth Sondes died 1818. South wall above right, inscribed tablet with urn and draped figure above. Various other C19 and C20 tablets to Watson family.



Listing NGR: SP8667091447

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
229923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/03651/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Lummis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].