This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1286235



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lewisham

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LEWISHAM HIGH STREET SE13 1. 4424 (West Side ) St Mary's Vicarage

TQ 3874 19/L53 30.8.54.


2. Late C17. 1776 given as date by 1 source, 1792 by another. The latter seems more probable. For many years the property of the Legge family in whose gift was the living of Lewisham, usually filled from members of the family. Double-span house of 2 storeys, attic and basement, 5 windows, slightly irregular. Very high pitched roof, renewed in machine tile, with end chimneys partly renewed. Moulded and modillioned eaves cornice in front, plastered coved cornice behind. 3 square dormers with later casements. Brownish brick with red brick dressings, ie quoins, lst floor band, window jambs and gauged brick ground floor window arches. Original croisee windows with casements mostly renewed although 3 original iron ones remain. Modern double door, with plain rectangular fanlight, in moulded architrave. Doorcase of flat pilasters, swell frieze, curved brackets supporting breakfront cornice and pediment, both with modillions. Inside 2 staircases, the main one with spiral twist balusters and square newels. Panelled dado to stair well. Backstairs with slightly bullous turned balusters. Several rooms with original panelling, including entrance hall, L-shaped with segmental arch over. 6 early fireplaces, 3 of them corner ones, with shouldered surrounds and Dutch tiling. One has carved sprays at sides. Brick cellar with some original floor bricks. This cellar was used as parish lockup after burning of Watch House in early Cl9 and attachments for door bars remain. Back extension late Cl9 and West side extension C20, in keeping with house. RCHM.

Listing NGR: TQ3802474949

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38024 74949


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286235 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 11:01:57.

End of official listing