CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1286247
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286247.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:34:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Raydon
National Grid Reference:
TM0493138617

Details

RAYDON

THE STREET

TM 03 NW 3/27 22.2.55 (West Side) Church of St Mary

GV II*

Church. Late C13 - early C14, restored 1883. Flint with ashlar dressings, south side rendered. Timber porch. Plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave with low bell house to west, south porch and north vestry. Slightly lower chancel. Square bell house with louvres and pyramidal roof with ball finial. Nave: diagonal off-set buttresses to west end. South side: probable late C19 gabled porch contains original south door, continuously moulded under pointed arch with stoup to right and surmounted by a niche. Off-set buttress to east of porch. Window to west restored, 2-light with ogee-cusped Y-tracery. Centre window has 2 cusped lights with cusped spherical triangle in head and window to east has 2 cusped ogee lights with cusped vesica in head. Hoodmould with head stops to all windows. North side: C19 gabled vestry, windows similar to south side. Chancel, south side: central pointed priests door has shafts with moulded capitals. Off-set buttresses with cusped gables. Window to west a single cusped light surmounted by trefoil under hoodmould with panel of blind tracery below which may once have been open. Pair of 2-light windows with geometrical tracery under hoodmoulds. North side: two similar windows with geometrical tracery and V-shaped buttresses (Cautley p1.8). Diagonal buttresses to east end with fine crocketed pinnacle finials. 4-light east window replaced 1883. Interior: nave piscina with cusped pointed arch. Brackets of former rood beam flank chancel arch and stairs survive to north. Tomb recess with cusped heavily-moulded arch with head stops of type used as Easter sepulchre. Fine piscina with open geometrical tracery. Wall tablet to John Mayor (d1663)in marble with broken segmental pedimented aedicule.

H Munro Cautley, Suffolk Churches 5th ed 1982, p340 pl.8.



Listing NGR: TM0493138617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277274
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937), 340

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11849/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].