CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1286504
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286504.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:48:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Wortley
National Grid Reference:
SK 30722 99393

Details

WORTLEY WORTLEY VILLAGE SK39NW 4/142 Church of St. Leonard 25.4.69 GV II Church. Of medieval origin, tower rebuilt by John Platt in 1753-4 (Colvin,p641) rest rebuilt c1815 and later in C19. Coursed, squared sandstone, stone slate roof. 4-stage west tower; 6-bay, aisleless, nave and chancel in one with south porch and north vestry. Gothic Revival style with some true Gothic fragments. Tower: chamfered plinth, large quoins. String course and offset at each stage. Slit windows to lower stages except for 3-light mullioned window to ground floor on north; clock to 3rd stage on north and south; 2-light belfry openings with trefoil-headed and louvred lights in deeply-chamfered surrounds; embattled parapet. Nave and chancel: large quoins. Traces of C18 mullioned gallery window at south-west end. Shallow-gabled south porch to left of three 3-light windows having Y-tracery in cyma-moulded surrounds. Moulded priests' door to left of reset C14 3-light window with reticulated tracery now lighting south chapel. East window of 3 lights with smaller dividing lights in Perpendicular style with Tudor-arched heads. North vestry window of 3 ogee-headed lights with relieving arch. 2 stone-roofed additions on north side.

Interior: rounded chancel arch, flanking arches in same style as are 2-bay arcades to north and south. Numerous wall monuments to the Stuart Wortley family of Wortley Hall the finest being those: on south side of east window to Mary Wortley d.1794 by Regnart; on north side to Edward Wortley (d.1761: erected 1778); above central pier of south chapel arcade to John Stuart Wortley (d.1797); on east wall of south chapel to Margaret Stuart Wortley Mackenzie (d.1808) by Flaxwan, set in older trefoil-headed niche with colonettes; C19 wall monument to same family on north wall of nave; also one to Benjamin Newton, schoolmaster (d.1816: erected 1818). Details of monuments in Pevsner (p559). 3 hatchments over south door.

H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1800, 1978

N. Pevsner, B.O.E. 1976 Ed.

Listing NGR: SK3072299393

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334018
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - The West Riding, (1959)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16195/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].