CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1286514
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MICKLEBRING LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286514.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:04:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MICKLEBRING LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Braithwell
National Grid Reference:
SK 52992 94697

Details

BRAITHWELL MICKLEBRING LANE SK59SW (south side)

8/9 Church of St. James 5.6.68

GV II*

Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15; chancel rebuilt 1845, organ chamber added 1894. Magnesian limestone ashlar also mixed sandstone and limestone rubble; Welsh slate and stone slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with south aisle and porch, north organ chamber; 2-bay chancel. Tower: 3 stages. Perpendicular, ashlar. Chamfered plinth, moulded band and diagonal west buttresses; 3-light west window with head-stops to hoodmould; string courses below and above plain 2nd stage; apron panels to louvred 3-light belfry windows; string course beneath embattled parapet having B crocketed pinnacles. Nave: bay-1 porch has raised keystone to square-headed doorway beneath sundial inscribed 1828. Churchwardens, THOMAS KAY, THO. DYSON. Tall chamfered C12 south door within has six crosses to lintel soffit and cable mould around tympanum carved with geometrical ornament, corbelled hood truncated by porch. C14 south aisle has later east buttress and south windows of 2 ogee lights in quoined, square-headed openings; aisle east window has mass dial on jamb and Decorated tracery. Aisle copings rise to embattled parapet of nave. Blocked north door beneath 2-light window; to its east a deeply-recessed window of 3 Tudor-arched lights beneath square hoodmould, beyond is a blocked 2-light, square-faced, mullioned window and to bay 3 the gabled organ chamber with 2-light window having quatrefoils. Chancel: chamfered plinth; diagonal east buttresses; blocked segmental-headed priests' door flanked by trefoil-headed lancets; 3-light east window with Decorated tracery and head-stops to the hoodmould. String course beneath ashlar parapet with roll-moulded copings and east cross. Interior: double-chamfered, pointed tower arch with moulded capitals. South arcade: octagonal piers and matching responds, moulded capitals and double- chamfered arches; bay 3 has arches of a former or proposed crossing, those to west and south double-chamfered, C19 north arch into organ chamber. Aisle south wall has trefoil-headed piscina to east of chamfered floor-tomb recess Chancel arch: C13; treble-chamfered, the inner order on keeled responds. Easter sepulchre with cusped tracery beneath moulded arch with crockets and finials. C19 roofs. Fittings: 3 C16 carved panels in later pulpit, one has kneeler, another with initials 'B.S' (Brian Sharpe, vicar 1565-1576). Monuments: stone benefactions tablets on south aisle wall, one is a corniced and architraved plaque recalling the gift of £60 p.a. by John Gleadhall (dl688). Wall monument over aisle pier to Betta Sheppard (d.1766) et al. has an open segmental pediment with ball finials. Painted arms of Geo. I and date 1724. Brass behind pulpit to Ralph Purslove (d.1726). In chancel a cross slab to left of altar and on right a grave slab to Nathaniel Eyre (d.17I7).

Listing NGR: SK5299294697

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334784
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/08888/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].