CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1287015
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287015.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:11:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Cotton
National Grid Reference:
SK 06632 46415

Details

COTTON C.P. COTTON SK 04 NE 4/79 Church of St. John Baptist 3/1/67 GV II Parish Church. 1795 for Thomas Gilbert of Cotton Hall (q.v.). Red brick on ashlar plinth with some ashlar dressings; slate roof. Cruciform plan with canted transeptal chapels to east end of the nave, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel. West front: pointed windows to left and right; central crenellated porch, 2 leaf pointed door with Gothic panels; blind pointed arch recess above the porch containing a circular oculus with radiating glazing bars; inscription stone above : " LET Future Ages view this SACRED PLACE / And Praise the ALMIGHTY Whose directing GRACE / With HEAVENLY Zeal inspired the FOUNDERS Mind / to Erect a CHAPEL to reform Mankind"; small gabled bellcote corbelled over the inscription stone; crenellated parapet to gable with apex and eaves finials; North and south fronts: large pointed windows with Gothic glazing bars; scotia moulded eaves band. East front: Tall blind pointed arch recess containing a circular oculus, central pointed doorway below leading to a cellar or crypt; pointed windows to left and right; crenellated parapet to gable with apex and eaves finials. Interior: West gallery of oak with carved panels and frieze decorated with carved foliage, the centre of the gallery projects and there are panelled pilasters below framing the west doorway; plaster rib vault, the ribs spring from engaged columns which frame the 4-centred arches to the transeptal chapels; wooden screen to north chapel in a Gothic style, 6 bay arcade, cusped ogee arches, central opening of 2 bays width with foliated frieze and crest, the screen has a brattished top; painted classical rood screen, 5 bays, round headed arches springing from moulded brackets, wide central opening, the lower part of the other bays is panelled; wainscotting to chancel, possibly reused box pews. Fittings: stone font of 1871, octagonal with a square panel to each face of the basin containing carved fleurons; pine benches with simple poppyheads; wooden octagonal pulpit with traceried openwork sides; wooden reredos of 3 bays, the central bay with a Caernarvon arch. Monuments: wall plaques to Thomas Gilbert of Cotton Hall (q.v.) died 1798 and to Thomas Gilbert his son died 1843. Stained glass: good north and south chancel windows and north-east nave window. B.O.E. P. 109.

Listing NGR: SK0663246415

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275075
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 109

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13518/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Taberner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].