CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1287248

Date first listed: 10-May-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, ATHERTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287248 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2019 at 15:14:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, ATHERTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 61575 04242

Details

HINDLEY ATHERTON ROAD SD 60 SW (west side) 10/76 Church of - St. Peter - II Church. 1866. By E. G. Paley. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, south west vestry, chancel and north east tower and spire (ritual west is actual north). 5-bay nave has cornice to clerestory and aisles; aisles have 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery and hood moulds with head stops; gabled buttresses have animal corbels. Clerestory has paired 2- light windows. North and south gabled porches have angle buttresses, arches with ball-flower on quatrefoil responds with foliated capitals. West end has gabled buttresses flanking 4-light window with shafts and small light with shafts over, headstops to hood moulds; 2-light aisle west windows. Tower has diagonal buttresses with blind arches to angled top projections, 3-light north window, 2nd stage trefoil-headed light with shafts on sill course. Bell stage has sill and impost courses and paired 2-light louvred bell openings with clock faces over. Top cornice with gargoyles and broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes, the lower ones of 2 lights. East stair turret, the upper part canted; trefoil- headed entrance. Chancel has gabled buttresses flanking 3- light east window. Enriched cornice and 2-light trefoil- headed south window. Vestry is later, gabled to east and west. Interior has arcades on round columns with crocket capitals; hood moulds with head stops. Corbelled detached shafts support waggon roof. 2 wrought iron chandeliers Organ, 1873, in original case at west end, 2 parts flanking vestry, stalls to front and top cresting. Round font on quatrefoil column with roundels to bowl. Chancel arch on triple-shafted responds, pulpit to south with arcading. Chancel has arch-braced scissor roof and simple panelling and reredos. Arch to vestry to north. East window has good stained glass dated 1870; south aisle has unusual pictorial style window dated 1881 by D. Morette. Good stone-carved details.

Listing NGR: SD6157504242

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 402905

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing