CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1287774
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287774.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:34:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Wickhamford
National Grid Reference:
SP 06808 42262

Details

SP 04 SE; 2/170

WICKHAMFORD CP, Church of St John the Baptist

30.07.59

GV

I

Church. C14, re-faced in C17, with C13 chancel and C17 tower. Restored 1949. Squared limestone, with chancel walls of rubble. Stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, south porch and lower chancel.

The tower is of three stages with diagonal buttresses to the lower stage and has an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. On the south side is an illegible inscription with oval surround. The bell openings are of two chamfered pointed lights under a pierced pointed head. The middle stage has chamfered louvred openings with round heads. The west window is of three cusped lights under a flat head with hood and lozenge stops. To the west of the porch on the south side of the nave is a C18 window formerly lighting a gallery. It is rebated and chamfered and has a keyed round head. To the right (east) of the porch are two windows of two cusped lights under flat heads with hoods and lozenge stops. The gabled porch has a doorway with plain reveals and timber lintel. At the apex is inscribed "1730", possibly altered from "1723". The inner doorway has a canted head. The south wall of the chancel has a chamfered lancet window and a priest's door with flat head. To its right is a restored window of two cusped ogee lights under a depressed pointed head. The north wall of the nave has a window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in the head. To the east there is a window of two lights under a flat head. In the north wall of the chancel are two blocked lancets. The east window is of two cusped ogee lights under a pointed head, also restored.

INTERIOR: the tower arch is chamfered and has moulded imposts. It is partly covered by a restored west gallery carried on two timber posts. The three nave roof trusses have tie beams, vertical struts, upper collars, and interrupted lower collars. At the eastern end is a ribbed boarded ceiling. The chancel arch is pointed and chamfered in two orders which die into the responds. Above are the painted arms of Charles II, dated 1661. On the south side of the nave are box pews which retain some C17 and C18 woodwork and include carved panels of various dates, of continental origin. On the north side is a three-decker pulpit which incorporates some similar material. The chancel is ceiled at collar level and has tie-beam trusses with vertical struts. On the south side is a pointed piscina. On the east wall is a defaced medieval wall-painting on a red ground. The turned communion rails are C18. On the north side of the chancel are the Sandyn monuments. Two panelled alabaster chest tombs share a single tester carried on four round arches which spring from black marble columns with Corinthian capitals. On the tombs lie the effigies of Sir Samuel Sandys (died 1626) and his wife Mercy, and of Sir Edwin Sandys (died 1626) and his wife Penelope. Above the tester are shields of arms, obelisks and carved figures. The chest are carved with kneeling children.

Listing NGR: SP0680442260

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401286
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05550/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].