CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1287781
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287781.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:11:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Roos
National Grid Reference:
TA 29071 29613

Details

ROOS HUMBERSIDE HOLDERNESS 5266 TA 22 NE 11/53 Church of All Saints 16.12.66 I Church. C13 or earlier nave, early C14 chancel and 2-storey north vestry. West tower of 1447, west porch of 1842. Restored 1842 by Cottingham, and again in 1913 by Temple Moore. Coursed cobbles with freestone dressings, Mediaeval brick, slate roofs. Single-storey west porch, 3-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with embracing aisles and clerestory, 3-bay chancel with 2-storey north vestry, south chapel. West porch: buttresses with offsets. Pointed openings to north, south and west sides. Coped parapet with cross finial to gable. West tower: moulded plinth and string-courses, buttresses with offsets. Pointed west window with continuous hollow chamfered and Perpendicular tracery. 2-light pointed belfry openings with cusped Y-tracery. Crenellated parapet, formerly with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. 4 square-headed windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights. Clerestory: 3 pointed windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights. Crenellated parapet. Chancel: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. South chapel and south wall of chancel have pointed 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Pointed 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. North wall west window is pointed, of 3 lights with reticulated tracery. North vestry: pointed west door with continuous wave- mouldings; ogee-headed lights to first-floor west and north walls; 3-light square-headed window with reticulated tracery to east wall first and second floors. Coped parapet. The north vestry has a circular stair turret which rises above parapet level. Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch under hood-mould with monarch stops. North and south arcades: early - mid C13. Circular piers on waterholding bases, pointed double-chamfered arches under hood-moulds with face-stops. Attached shafts to responds. Chancel: pointed door with continuous chamfer to north vestry: above it and slightly to the east is a pointed window to priests chamber. C14 piscina: ogee- headed cusped arch under blank tracery. Pulpit of 1615: raised and moulded base with panelled side and date-panels. Reset mediaeval coloured glass in clerestory south side east window including an angel with a scroll and the fragment of an inscription commemorating the members of a guild. Chancel screen and rood figures by Temple Moore. Wall tablet to Reverend Sir Mark Sykes and his wife, of Sledmere, died 1783, with a double portrait medallion.

Listing NGR: TA2906829613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166513
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/04398/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].