CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1287785
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287785.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:15:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Claydon with Clattercot
National Grid Reference:
SP 45703 50047

Details

CLAYDON WITH CLATTERCOTE MAIN STREET SP4550 (West side) Claydon 10/31 Church of St. James the Great 08/12/55

GV II*

Small church, C12 origins represented by C12 south doorway and north arcade of 3 bays, C12 chancel probably extended in C14 or C15, C14 west tower, C15 south porch. Restoration at 1860 by William White: north aisle almost entirely rebuilt, piscina and sedilia inserted in chancel and all windows renewed. Furnishings almost entirely 1860s. Squared coursed ironstone. Tower has a saddleback roof of stone slate on south, C20-tile on north, Nave and chancel and aisles have C20-tile roofs, Chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, west tower, 4-window range. 2 entrances, Chancel has painted arched priest's 5 doorway with plank door and weathered head, Chancel has renewed 3-light window with intersecting tracery. Chancel and nave have 2- and 3-light lancet windows mostly restored or renewed by William White. Chancel has 2 buttresses and stone-coped gable. Gabled south porch has stone slate roof and pointed arched doorway with moulded jambs. Plank door and strap hinges. North aisle has smote and triple lancets. Remains of a C14 stone chimney stack. The vent may resemble one at Hanwell but the interior fireplace has gone. West tower. Low with a saddleback roof. 3 stages.Lancets and 2-light trefoil head lancets to bell-stage. Restored ironstone quoins. Interior. C19 Queen strut roofs. North arcade has 3 short round piers with capitals carved with flat upright leaves. North aisle has an Early English arch springing from a corbel with nailhead decoration leading from north aisle to a chapel. The chapel has 3 openings to the chancel, a squint, a C13 arch and a doorway once external as the mouldings are weathered. Fittings and furnishings of 1860 restoration by William White, including piscina, sedilia, pews, pulpit, reading desk and font. Stained glass; east window 1860s by Wailes of Newcastle. South chancel windows of 1860s by Lavers and Barraud. South chancel Windows of - by Lovers and Sarr aud. (Buildings of England: Oxford; 1974, p548; VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol X, p192)

Listing NGR: SP4570350047

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401199
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 548
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 192

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05859/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].