Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288191.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:57:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
Woodhall Spa
National Grid Reference:
TF 19011 61371


TF 16 SE KIRKSTEAD off ABBEY LANE (south side)

1/22 Church of St. Leonard 14.9.66

- I

Former chapel to Kirkstead Abbey, now Parish church, c.1230-60, restored in 1913-4 by Weir. Limestone ashlar and squared coursed rubble, weatherboarded gable, plain tiled roof with timber bellcote having shaped leaded roof. Single cell plan. West end has large corner buttresses, chamfered string course and central pointed planked double doors with C13 scrolled iron hinges. The doorway is of 3 orders with shafts bearing stiff leaf capitals, moulded outer arch, having dogtooth moulding and to pointed door head also. Hood mould with foliate stops. Above a blind arcade of 3 bays with shafts having stiff leaf capitals, dogtooth moulded pointed arches, the central one containing a vesica. The side walls are buttressed with plain moulded corbels and cill band. In the north side 5 tall lancets with hood moulds and blocked doorway with moulded reveals and dogtooth moulding to pointed head. In the east end 3 stepped lancets. South wall as north but with 6 lancets. Interior. 2 cells of ribbed quadripartite vaulting, the shafts rising from annular corbels with stiff leaf, foliage, they spring in turn from a keeled string course which continues round the interior. The ribs meet in floriate bosses and the cross ribs dividing the cells have dogtoothing. In the chancel is a sexpartite vault with dogtoothed mid rib, and a boss bearing the Agnus Dei. In the south wall a triangular headed aumbry. The rear arches of the windows have keeled shafts to the reveals and in one section of the nave early plaster is visible, gauged to resemble ashlar. In the west end a small planked door with chamfered surround and lintel. Fittings. Early C13 wooden screen arcade, reset in 1926 on new base, comprising trefoil arches on slender octagonal piers and facetted capitals. Font is a re-used medieval mortar with side lugs set on a cylindrical stone base. Monument. In the chancel, upper part only of C13 recumbent effigy to a knight, showing the deceased with chain mail, surcoat and shield, wearing helm, head on cushion with sprays of stiff leaf foliage to either side. An intact building of outstanding quality.

Listing NGR: TF1901261373


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/04126/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].