CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1288258
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288258.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:44:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Doverdale
National Grid Reference:
SO 86013 66029

Details

DOVERDALE CP DOVERDALE SO 86 NE 5/27 Church of St Mary 14.3.69 - II

Parish church. Probably C14, remodelled C17, restored 1860 by F Preedy. Ashlar, tile roof with stone coped verges, leaded spirelet. Nave with bellcote and spirelet to west end, chancel. Nave: stepped buttresses, chamfered plinth; south vestry centrally placed rebuilt 1860 (formerly the porch), to right a square-headed 3-light window with cavetto mullions, to left a single-light window with chamfered surround, both C17; north wall: windows reflect south wall, with a centrally placed, blocked, north door: the semi-circular head is constructed from voussoirs with filleted roll moulding, apparently once forming a 2-centred head. West door of 1860 in slightly projecting surround under triangular head, 2-centred arch to door. Spirelet above built 1860 in place of small bellcote. The 1860 bellcote is timber-framed, two by two square panels with pierced wood infill to the panels; a triangular vent to each side of the spirelet; decorative chevron ribs to leaded spire. Chancel: mostly rebuilt 1860, chamfered plinth with drip moulding, diagonal buttresses; two bays: south wall has two trefoil-headed lancets, east window of three trefoil- headed lights under 2-centred head. Interior: chancel arch of 1860, 2-centred moulded with engaged shafts to responds. Roofs: four-bay arch braced collar roof to nave, with a fifth bay occupied by the four main posts supporting the bellcote and spirelet; chancel: three-bay boarded barrel vault. Fittings: mostly of 1860, wall of nave has C17 panelling to dado height with frieze, part fluted, part intersecting lunettes. Earthworks of a deserted medieval village to west of church. (BoE p 133; VCH 3, p 71).

Listing NGR: SO8601366029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400153
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 71
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 133

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05350/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].