CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1288277
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, HORKSTOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288277.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:55:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS, HORKSTOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
South Ferriby
National Grid Reference:
SE 98845 20838

Details

SE 92 SE SOUTH FERRIBY HORKSTOW ROAD (east side),

2/68 Church of Saint Nicholas

6.11.67 GV II *

Parish church. C13 or earlier nave with C14-C15 windows, rebuilding of 1578-80, including chancel. Early C19 rebuilding and top stage to tower, lancets to nave; restorations of 1889 by C H Fowler of Durham included new chancel, re-roofing, re-flooring. Red brick tower with ashlar dressings; nave and porch of limestone ashlar, coursed rubble and brick; brick and ashlar vestry; chancel of brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Steep hillside position. 3-bay nave re-aligned north-south in 1889, with north- east tower and adjoining east vestry (former chancel), west porch and single-bay south chancel. Nave: C19 buttresses to north; three C19 west lancets with hoodmoulds, incorporating original masonry; re-set four-centred arch east window with Perpendicular tracery; pointed 3-light north window with Perpendicular tracery, re-set in C19 above blocked door, flanked by lancets similar to those on west (one with re-used medieval masonry); cornice and coped parapet. Vestry (outshut in angle of tower and nave) has re-set segmental-pointed 2-light cinquefoiled east window with hoodmould, C19 pointed 2-light window and blocked square-headed opening to south. 2- stage tower: plinth, diagonal buttress to east. 1st stage has pointed chamfered west door with re-set hoodmould and crude headstops, east slit window, plain string course. Second has 2-light square-headed ashlar openings to north and south, latter blocked. Pointed belfry openings with brick band and low stone-coped embattled parapet with plain angle pinnacles. porch: quoins to lower section, brick above; re-set C14 pointed double- chamfered outer arch with hoodmould and headstops. Reset Cll tympanum above, with relief carving of bishop with staff, flanked by crosses in roundels; pointed hollow-chamfered inner arch. Interior restored pointed hollow-chamfered former chancel arch to east with octagonal responds and plain moulded capitals and bases. C19 pointed double-chamfered chancel arch. C19 font and fittings. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 368-9; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: SE9884520838

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165868
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 368-369

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06125/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].