Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288450.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 02:57:24.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 10224 21236


TA 1021-1121 GOXHILL CHURCH STREET (south side)

16/31 Church of All Saints 6.11.67 GV I

Parish Church. C13 chancel, C14 - C15 nave, aisles and tower. Restorations of c1857 included re-flooring, removal of plaster; restorations of 1878 to aisles, chancel and tower. Limestone ashlar tower, nave and aisle north and south walls; limestone and chalk rubble to east and west walls of aisles; squared limestone and limestone and chalk rubble with ashlar dressings to chancel; brick south porch with ashlar front; rendered stone north porch. Slate roofs to nave, chancel and porches; lead roofs to aisles. West tower, 4-bay nave with 5-bay north and south aisles, north and south porches (latter now vestry), and 3-bay chancel. Moulded plinth to tower, south porch and north and south walls of aisle; chamfered plinth to chancel and east and west walls of aisles. 3-stage tower: full-height angle buttresses with moulded set-offs, moulded stringcourses between stages. First stage has pointed moulded west door with hoodmould and headstops, moulded dripstone, four-centred arch 4-light traceried window with hoodmould and headstops, slit windows to stairs in south west angle. 2nd stage has four- centred arch 2-light traceried window with hoodmould and headstops, C19 clockfaces to west and north. 3rd stage has later C15 top section with Perpendicular tracery to pointed 2-light belfry openings and hoodmoulds with corbelled pilaster srips rising to embattled parapet with weathered gargoyles. Aisles: buttresses with set-offs between bays and at angles; four-centred arch 3-light cinquefoiled windows with hoodmoulds to north, south and east, those to north and east with largely restored tracery; moulded cornices with gargoyles at angles and C19 embattled parapets with crocketed angle pinnacles. South aisle has pointed 3-light west window with C19 curvilinear tracery; north aisle has C14 pointed 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. Nave: 8 four-centred arch 3-light cinquefoiled clerestory windows, buttress to east, moulded cornice, coped gable and sanctus bellcote with moulded arched openings and cross finial. Chancel: north side has central buttress, restored lancet with hoodmould and carved stops, C19 twin lancet and basket-arched 3-light trefoiled window; south side has similar buttress and basket-arched 3-light trefoiled window; C14 pointed 3-light window with partly-restored curvilinear tracery, hoodmould and foliate stops, and small pointed hollow-chamfered priest's door; four- centred arch 4-light east window with hoodmould and C19 tracery. South porch: side buttresses with moulded set-offs flanking pointed moulded outer arch, partly blocked. North porch: pointed chamfered outer doorway with ashlar jambs and C19 brick arch; pointed inner arch with ornate carved heads, flowers etc in hollow moulding; C19 door with re-used medieval strap- hinges; pair of carved corbels above supporting purlins of porch roof. Interior. 4-bay arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases on octagonal plinths; second pier from east on south side bears traces of painted bands. Pointed double-chamfered tower and chancel arches on octagonal responds with plain moulded bases and capitals. Re-used C12 chevron-moulded masonry at east end of nave. Former south porch has fine pointed moulded south doorway and original door, partly restored, with moulded ribs and decorated wrought-iron strap hinges; pointed moulded niche for stoup and fragmentary C15 crucifixion painting and black-letter inscription on east wall. Chancel: double piscina with fillet-moulded trefoiled arches, central octagonal shaft with dog-tooth moulded abacus and quatrefoil panel in spandrel; triangular- headed aumbrys to south and north walls. Fine C15 4-bay moulded oak nave roof has cranked tie beams with crocketed braces to corbelled wall posts and two pairs of vertical struts with traceried panels between, intermediate principal rafters and single butt- and ridge-purlins. Similar but plainer C15 2-bay south porch roof with moulded tie beams and wall plates. Monuments: in chancel a fine but damaged late C13 knight effigy, ornate marble wall tablet to Edward and Arabel Skinner of 1669 with carved base, pilasters and scrolled pediment with arms, floor slab to John and Robert Sandes of 1664; in south aisle a wall tablet to Thomas Wyer of 1787 with carved urns by E Foster of Hull; mid C17 - early C18 inscribed floor slabs at west end of nave. Restored carved oak panelled pulpit of 1634. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 250; drawing by C L Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA1022321235


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 250


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02835/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].