- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CLAYDON HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288461 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 03:29:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CLAYDON HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
- Middle Claydon
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 71917 25334
SP 72 NW MIDDLE CLAYDON CLAYDON PARK
4/78 Claydon House
Mansion. W. wing containing state rooms built late 1760s-early 1770s for Ralph, second Earl Verney. Luke Lightfoot in charge of work until 1769, with intervention of Sir Thomas Robinson 1768- 1771. Remainder of house to rear is mid C18 remodelling of older building with S. front altered 1860s. Classical W. wing is of ashlar with plain sill course to ground floor, quoins and moulded cornice with modillions. Slate roof, ashlar chimneys. Barred sash windows in architrave surrounds. 2 storeys. W. front of 7 bays, 3 to centre slightly projecting and pedimented with shallow recessed arch over ground floor windows. Centre of ground floor has Serlian window with rusticated blocks over central arch and Doric jambs. Flanking ground floor windows have pulvinated friezes and pediments, segmental to end bays. Outer bays have bullseye windows between storeys, those to right blind and painted. Central first floor window has lugged architrave. Small round window in pediment above. N. front, altered 1790s, has 5 bays with alternating segmental and triangular pediments to ground floor windows, those in bays 2 and 3 with double doors. S. front of 3 bays is of header bond red brick with plain parapet and stone sill course and window architraves. Remainder of house: 3 storeys and basement. N. and part of E. fronts are of mid C18 brick with vitreous headers, red dressings and gauged heads to windows. Plain parapet, brick band courses. Barred sash windows, some round headed with intersecting glazing bars, some Serlian. C19 tower to right of N. front, C19 S. front of red brick with stone architraves to sash windows and 2 full-height canted bay windows with stone mullions and transoms. Interior: older part of house has C17 fireplace in ground floor. S.E. room, early C18 bolection panelling in entrance hall and C17 panelling with carved frieze re-sited in second floor room. The W. wing has exceptionally fine examples of contemporary decoration. The first floor rooms, North Hall and Pink Parlour have extravagant Rococo decoration with scrolls, foliage, birds and exotic motifs in carved wood by Lightfoot, carved marble fireplaces and 6 or 8-panel mahogany doors with mouldings. The North Hall and the Gothic and Chinese Rooms are especially impressive; the latter with pagoda-like alcove and doorcases. The Saloon and Library were decorated under the direction of Sir Thomas Robinson with heavily classical wooden doorcases, marble fireplaces and elaborate plaster ceilings in the style of Robert Adam by Joseph Rose. Fine staircase with inlaid treads, risers, handrail, landings and soffits, carved string, and delicate wrought iron balustrade of scroll work with ears of wheat. Above is a glazed oval dome with carved frieze of sea creatures. The W. wing is the surviving part of a larger scheme, the house formerly extending to the north with a central rotunda and matching ballroom wing designed by Robinson and demolished 1792. (National Trust Guide. Country Life: October 24th, 31st and November 7th 1952. RCHM II p. 198-9. Mon.2.)
Listing NGR: SP7191725334
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 7 November, (1952)
'Country Life' in 24 October, (1952)
'Country Life' in 31 October, (1952)
'National Trust Guide' in Claydon House, ()
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.