CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1288593
Date first listed:
26-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288593.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 14:59:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST DUBRICIUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hentland
National Grid Reference:
SO 54306 26391

Details

HENTLAND CP SO 52 NW 3/49 Church of St Dubricius

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1300, late C14 and C15, restored by J P Seddon 1853. Squared sandstone, sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings; tile, stone slate and Welsh slate roofs. West tower, four-bay nave with north aisle and north porch, two-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower is C14 with three stages, the lowest and middle externally undivided, embattled parapet, deep moulded plinth, square full-height projection for newel at east end of north side, diagonal buttresses with off-sets to north-west, south-west and south-east extend to string course marking the bottom of the top stage; ground stage has large west window with 2-centred head, three cinquefoil-headed lights and tracery; second stage has one central small light with 2-centred head to south and west; top stage has one 2-light bell-opening to each side, the lights having trefoiled and ogeed heads and quatrefoil tracery; east side has marks of earlier nave roof; west face of newel projection has three loops; sundial on south wall reported by RCHM as having inscription to Annah Smith 1680. North aisle has single-light trefoil-headed windows, one in the west wall, one to each side of north porch, the eastern one flanked by C19 weathered buttresses. Vestry is C19, trefoiled window to right of square headed north doorway with shouldered jambs, east window is also trefoil-headed. Chancel has one trefoil-headed light to east of vestry; diagonal buttress to north-east and south-east; east window, greatly restored, has 2-centred head and three lights; south wall has 2-light trefoil-headed windows, one to either side of weathered buttress. Nave has two buttresses both C19, the left one rising above blocked south door to octagonal chimney shaft, to its left one trefoil-headed window, to its right a square-headed window with spandrels and two ogeed, trefoil-headed lights and a 2-light window with chamfered and moulded jambs and a 2-centred head. North porch is C19 with gable cross, outer arch is chamfered with a 2-centred head; c1300 north doorway is chamfered with segmental head. Interior has almost continuous scissor-braced roof, perhaps C15 to nave and chancel, the latter with collars and mid-C19 painted decoration; four-bay arcade of double chamfered 2-centred arches separates nave and north aisle, the piers are octagonal and the outer chamfered orders run out in pyramidal stops above the octagonal abaci. Chancel has a scheme of mid-C19 painted wall decoration, with foliated designs around windows, ashlar lining in terracotta colour, to the left of east window a genealogical tree from Adam to Abraham; east window has stained glass perhaps C15 with one nimbed figure to each side light and a smaller figure, probably the donor, in the central light; C19 credence on north wall has part octagonal pilaster with quatrefoil frieze; C19 quatrefoil drain of piscina in easternmost window of south side; C18 chair south of altar has scrolled arms, fielded back-panel, extending down to floor, chamfered rails, arms supported on balusters; early C17 chair on north side has back-panel with arch and Ionic capitals, moustacheoed caryatids, front rail with arabesque decoration, scrolled arms supported by turned balusters extending downwards as front legs, in the back panel is a stylised vine with grapes, its bottom margin with another arabesque design; three brass hanging oil lamps, probably c1900; organ is late C19 with polychrome pipes, hand pump and inscription: THE GIFT OF THE REVD T P SYMONDS OF PENGETHLY, integrated flanking doors lead into organ chamber and vestry which has C19 fireplace with moulded 2-centred arch and mantel supported on two corbels, the west window, formerly external window of north aisle, is trefoil-headed and has late C19 stained glass depicting "The Mother of Jesus/ S John II i". Nave has chancel screen which is substantially C19 perhaps with elements of late medieval tracery on cresting, four open cinquefoil headed tracery panels, central 2-centred entrance with mid-C19 inscription "0 WORSHIP THE LORD IN THE BEAUTY OF HOLINESS": on north side opening to former rood-loft has square head; C19 ogeed-open panelled desk and matching bench, in same style as comtemporary choir stalls; C17 pulpit, seven parts of octagon, guilloche ornament, fluted pilasters and arch to each face which is three panels deep, bottom panels are square, plinth has two zones of small arched friezes; Caroline chair with turned balusters to back and stretchers, vine leaf decoration to open- work back-panel, woven cane seat; on south wall a copy of Ecce Homo by Carlo Dolci inscribed "Corsini, Firenze"; wall memorial to the 15 fallen of World War I from the parish, blocked south door has 2-centred head and contains two end panels from late C17 or C18 chest tomb with cartouches, scrolled margins and putto heads, in front cast-iron stove, probably late C19, inscribed in raised lettering: "THE NATIONAL SLOGAN/ No 5". North aisle has remains of stairs to rood-loft, square niche to left of east window, sexfoiled C19 drain in piscina to its right, beneath the window an altar carved by Ethel Strachan in 1903 for the Revd Scarlett Smith, C19 chandelier for six candles arranged on a circular band with paterae; font is probably late C15, square base rising to octagon, octagonal stem with trefoiled-headed panels, octagonal bowl with curved under- side and panels with two recessed female heads and rosettes; six brass oil lamps of same design as those in chancel. Tower arch has two orders with 2- centred heads, the inner more pointed and dying into the jambs of the outer; beneath is an oak screen, open upper panels with heads like that of chancel screen, presented as a memorial for Sydney Lidderdale Smith 1817 - 1903, Canon Residentiary of Hereford Cathedral; within the tower an 1829 Benefactions board including: "J Powell of Pengethley by his will dated 1605; gave out of the White- house Farm in the parish of Sellack aforesaid Twenty Shillings per annum payable on All-Saints day and to be equally distributed at Christmas and Easter for ever"; on north wall a wall notice possibly late C19 to early C20 by Ecclesiastical Insurance Office, Lim, entitled "Frequent Causes of Destruction of Churches by Fire" listing furnace pipes, oil lamps, workmen (especially plumbers), dust and matches, organ stores, organ repairers, organ music and desk lights, and the absence of lightning conductors; late C17 chest with rectangular panels and lock-plate noted by RCHM absent at time of re-survey (October 1985). (BoE, p 144; RCHM Vol I, p 84-6).

Listing NGR: SO5430626391

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
399200
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 84-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 144

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/07221/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].