CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ISHAM ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288885.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:54:23.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, ISHAM ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Kettering (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 86003 74776
PYTCHLEY ISHAM ROAD
SP 87 SE
Church of All Saints
Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, chancel restored 1861, nave and aisles
restored 1903. Coursed and squared stone and ashlar with stone slate
and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory and aisles, side chapel,
south porch, chancel. West tower, C13 and C14, 4 stages, has chamfered
plinth and string courses, crenellated parapet with gargoyles and
pinnacles, pyramid rood with weathercock. To south west, a clasping
buttress. First stage has to west a late C14 moulded doorway with 2-leaf
plank door and above it, a Y-traceried lancet, restored, both with hood
moulds. Second stage has a lancet to south. Third stage has blocked
triple openings to north and south, a doorway to east, and clock to west.
Bell stage has on each side 2 transomed ogee headed bell chamber
openings with hood moulds. Parapeted clerestory has to north 4 and to
south 5 C14 Decorated double lancets. North and south aisles have
chamfered plinths and coped parapets. South aisle has moulded sill band.
North aisle west end has setback buttresses and a grotesque spout. Each
end has a restored early C15 transomed triple lancet with panel tracery
and hood mould. North side has to east a diagonal buttress and a single
intermediate one. To west of the side chapel, a double chamfered C14
doorway with hood mould. South aisle, 4 bays, has at the east end a tall
Y-traceried double lancet. To its left, 4 tablets, c 1800. South side
has to east, 2 Decorated double lancets with moulded ogee heads and
finials. To west, a C13 paired lancet. West end has a C19 Perpendicular
triple lancet with hood mould. North side chapel has string course,
coped gable and parapet with diagonal spouts. North gable has a restored
C13 double lancet with hood mould. Buttressed south porch, C14, has
coped gable with sundial finial. Roll moulded doorway with shafts and
above it, a mask corbel and a C19 lamp bracket. In each side, a
chamfered flat headed double opening. Interior has stone benches and C20
roof. C13 doorway with filleted moulding, shafts with crocketed capitals,
hood mould and C16 plank door and hinges. 2-bay chancel has chamfered
plinth, moulded eaves, coped gable, and sill bands to east and south.
North side has a near-central blocked doorway flanked to left by a C14
piscina and to right by a blocked doorway. Above, mid C19 triple and
double Geometrical lancets with hood moulds. East end has a C19 5-light
Geometrical lancet with hood mould flanked by single angle buttresses.
South side has to left a restored C14 doorway flanked to left by a
blocked low side window, and a central C19 Geometrical triple lancet,
flanked to left by a similar double lancet and to right by a more squat
triple lancet. All these openings have hood moulds. C14 double
chamfered tower arch has octagonal responds and C19 traceried wooden
screen. 4-bay north arcade has 2 C12 bays to west with round pier,
scrolled capital and single stepped arches with painted decoration.
Eastern bays, mid C13, have quatrefoil piers with one oak leaf capital,
differently chamfered arches, hood moulds and mask stops. North east
corner has rood loft doorway. 4-bay south arcade, C13, has quatrefoil
piers and responds with 3 leaf capitals and a single moulded capital to
east. Hollow and plain chamfered arches with hood moulds and mask
stops. Restored C15 roof has moulded cambered tie-beams with struts to
wall shafts. North aisle has to left, blind-arcaded timber porch with
double doors, 1844, and to its right, double chamfered opening to side
chapel, with C17 carved panelled screen. East end has to left a re-set
C13 piscina and to right a C20 aumbry, both with re-set cross-incised
lintels. Restored C15 roof with cambered tie-beams and wall shafts on
mask corbels. South aisle has an ogee headed Gothic traceried porch,
1844. East end has 2 stained glass windows, mid and late C20. Restored
roof with moulded tie-beams and purlins. Chancel has C19 hollow
chamfered arch with central drop and hood mould, a C20 traceried screen,
and a moulded sill band. East end has a C14 style oak reredos, 1952.
South side has late C14 cusped ogee headed piscina and sedilia in moulded
flat headed frame. To right, a blocked doorway and low side window
openings. C19 arch-braced principal rafter roof with foliate corbels.
Fittings include round C12 font, restored and inscribed 1838, with cove
sided bowl and C19 turned cover. C17 pew and octagonal pulpit and
priest's chair made from C17 carved panels. C14 chest. Large painted
panel, 1661, with Royal arms, churchwardens' names and text. memorials
include 3 mid C19 marble and slate tablets and 2 war memorial brasses.
Listing NGR: SP8600374776
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/217111
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/37426
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38148
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing