CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1289054
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289054.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:32:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
Parish:
Broughton
National Grid Reference:
SP 83718 75799

Details

BROUGHTON CHURCH STREET SP 87 NW (east side) 5/11 25.2.57 Church of St Andrew II* Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Chancel rebuilt 1828. Restored 1867. Coursed and squared ironstone with plain tile, copper, stone, slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel, north and south porches. 2-stage west tower, early C14, has plinth, string courses and mask corbel table plus 2 angle buttresses. First stage has, to west, a restored ogee triple lancet with intersecting tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Above it, a C14 single lancet and above again, a clock. South side has a C14 single lancet. Second stage has on each side an ogee double lancet opening with Y-tracery and hood mould. Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on the cardinal faces and is topped with a wind vane dated 1867. Parapeted clerestory has on each side 3 C15 ogee double lancets with flat headed reveals. 3- bay north aisle has plinth, 2 diagonal buttresses and coped ends. Flanking the porch on either side, a C15 triple lancet with flat head, hood mould and mask stops. To the right of the west window, 2 early C19 slate tablets. West end has a restored Decorated double lancet and east end a cusped triple lancet, both with flat heads and hood moulds. East end has an ogee triple lancet and south side has to east 2 similar lancets. West end has a double lancet surrounded by 7 slate tablets, late C18 and early C19. 2-bay chancel has coped east gable, angle buttresses, and sill band. North side has to west a restored C13 doorway with hood mould and to its right a small chamfered light. East end has a C14 5- light lancet with intersecting tracery, hood mould and mask stops, and a late C18 tablet below it. South side has a central coped datestone, 1828, flanked by single C19 double Decorated lancets with hood moulds. C14 north porch has coped gable with kneelers, moulded doorway with hood mould and mask stops, and a single light in each side. Interior has stone benches, arched tie-beams with bosses, and early C14 roll-moulded doorway with double shafts. Restored south porch has coped gable with flanking buttresses and chamfered flat headed doorway East side has a tiny re-set, C13 single lancet. Interior has stone benches, C18 common rafter roof, and reset datestone, 1892. C12 inner doorway with zigzag and lozenge moulding, shafts with scallop capitals and hood mould. C14 tower arch, triple chamfered, has octagonal responds. C19 stained glass west window. 3-bay nave arcades, early C14, have octagonal piers with square bases to north and octagonal bases to south. Octagonal capitals throughout. Double chamfered arches with hood moulds and mask stops to the south only. North side has to east a pointed rood loft door over a segmental C19 organ opening. Restored C15 roof with arch braces and wall shafts on beast and mask corbels. Aisles have restored moulded C15 roofs with wall shafts and bosses in north aisle. North aisle west end window has C15 glass fragments. South aisle east window has similar fragments c 1420 and c 1500. Central memorial window by Morris & Co, 1919. Blocked C14 rood loft doorway in the north east corner. Early C14 double chamfered chancel arch has octagonal responds. Chancel north side has to left a shuttered low-side window and to right, an ogee aumbry. East end has stained glass window by Powell, 1855. South-east window has 2 C19 seats in the opening and stained glass c 1900. South-west window has C19 stained glass in the head. Fittings include C14 font with panelled stem with shafts and octagonal bowl with nodding ogee headed panels. C19 ashlar pulpit in C14 style. C19 benches and stalls with fleur de lys ends. Mid C18 chest. Memorials include round-headed niche containing praying frontal demi-figure , with brass tablet on apron, to Rev Robert Bolton,1631. Scrolled oval medallion containing painted demi- figure with tablet on apron, bracket and crest, to Harrold Kynnesman, 1631. Marble and slate Classical tablet, 1790. Scrolled marble obelisk- shaped tablet with crest and inscribed roundel, 1772.

Listing NGR: SP8371875799

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
398046
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09194/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].