MOOR HOSPITAL, BLOCKS 40,41,42,44 AND 46

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1289436
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1994
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-1995
Statutory Address:
MOOR HOSPITAL, BLOCKS 40,41,42,44 AND 46, QUERNMORE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289436.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:08:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
MOOR HOSPITAL, BLOCKS 40,41,42,44 AND 46, QUERNMORE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 49256 61503

Details

LANCASTER

SD46SE QUERNMORE ROAD 1685-1/1/254 (South side (off)) 24/01/94 Moor Hospital, Blocks 40, 41, 42, 44 and 46 (Formerly Listed as: QUERNMOOR ROAD Moor Hospital, Blocks 40, 41, 42, 44 and 46)

GV II*

County lunatic asylum, now the nucleus of the 'Old Side' of the Moor Hospital. 1816. By Thomas Standen, and extended in stages until c1850. Sandstone ashlar with hipped slate roofs under relatively recent asbestos sheeting. In plan the original U-shaped block of 1816 has a 5-bay centre facing north with 5-bay wings to each side and 18-bay rear wings projecting south from them; projecting at right angles from the southern ends of the rear wings are 11-bay wings of c1840, while two 11-bay wings (dating from c1850) project northwards from the original facade. Only these parts are of special interest. The main facade has a slightly projecting centre of 2 storeys and an attic above a basement with a 4-column Tuscan Doric portico bearing in its pediment a panel inscribed with the date 'MDCCCXVI'; it has an eaves cornice, a hipped roof, and 2 chimney stacks, each of 16 flues. The basement and ground floor have chamfered rustication topped by a pulvinated frieze which forms a sill band to the second floor windows. The triglyph frieze of the pediment continues as a plain deep band across the outer bays. The openings in the ground floor have semicircular heads, though the slightly recessed windows have flat lintels while the door has a fanlight. All the other windows have plain reveals and are sashed with glazing bars (12 and 6 panes). The 5-bay side wings have only 2 storeys, with a plain band between them, and windows with plain reveals. On each side the fourth bay from the centre (which lights the long corridor of the rear wings) has a tripartite window on each floor. All these windows have recent joinery. The wings projecting northwards to left and right have 2 storeys and are of 11 bays with a 3-bay projection in the centre and a 4-bay projection at the outer end. Their northern facades are each of 5 bays. The right-hand facade (Block 40) has altered joinery, blocked window openings to the outer bays, and a central doorway with flanking pilasters and lights. The left-hand facade retains glazing bar sashes. The tripartite central window on the first floor has pilasters as mullions and has blind outer lights. The central doorway has an architrave, flanking lights, pilasters, and a triglyph frieze. A Tuscan porch breaks forwards in front of the door and has a blocking course above the cornice.

Listing NGR: SD4922861473

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383289
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].