CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1289541
Date first listed:
06-Feb-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, PARSONAGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289541.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 13:36:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, PARSONAGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hungerford
National Grid Reference:
SU 33418 68713

Details

HUNGERFORD PARSONAGE LANE SU 3368 (North side) 18/28 Church of St. Lawrence 6.2.62 II*

Church. 1816. John Pinch of Bath. Bath stone ashlar and lead roofs. 4 bay aisled nave with clerestory. West tower and apsidal chancel. Gothick style with "churchwardens" Gothick glazing of lancet type, moulded architraves, Tudor arches to clerestory. Octagonal buttresses with lumpy finials of the period. Crenellated parapet. Heavy coved cornice continued as band across East end and forming impost to East window. Extraordinary East window of 5 lights following curve of apse. 3 stage West Tower, crenellated, with corner pinnacles, gothick lancet cornice intersecting tracery to windows and belfry on each stage. Tudor arched West door with Y tracery overlight in tall lancet surround to West. Projecting South porch crenellated with finials and octagonal piers. Interior: 4 wide bays with quatrefoil plan columns and leaf caps to arcade, depressed Tudor arches and ogee labels. Panelled ceiling with arch braced ties on wall shafts springing from angel corbels. Gallery across entire West End with original organ. Octagonal perpendicular style front of c1826. C1891 large octagonal Pulpit with alabaster panelling. Monuments:- a) legless, defaced c1350 knight in North chapel, tablet with inscription in lombardic script at feet. b) Baroque hanging monument, c1673, with swan neck pediment (North Wall). c) 6 black and white marble late C18 and early C19 wall memoricals in various styles (by North East respond the stonehouse memorial by C. Harris of London). South Wall - a) Martha Hungaford, died 1739, good Palladian monument with 2 black tablets and segmental pediment. b) Whitelock Memorial, c1816, Gothick with 6 tablets. North Wall:- good small Baroque monument to Helina Morgan, died 1776, grieving putti and armorial cartouche over shaped tablet. East end of South aisle, set in floor, two brass plates of 1613 and 1618 with verse epitaphs. Stained Glass: East window by Lavers and Westlake, c1887. V.C.H. vol.iv. - p.197 B.0.E. 0 p.155. Murray's Architectural Guide p.130.

Listing NGR: SU3341868713

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396896
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 197
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966)
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06155/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Alan Rosevear. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].