CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1289631
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289631.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:31:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Milton Keynes (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Astwood
National Grid Reference:
SP 95052 47374

Details

SP 94 NE ASTWOOD MAIN ROAD (south side)

4/2 Church of St.Peter

17.11.66

- II* Parish Church, Mainly C14 and C15, stone with embattled W. tower, nave with clerestory and S. aisle, S. porch and chancel. Flat leaded roofs to nave and aisle, theformer replaced in concrete following war time bomb damage. Good C14 tracery to S. aisle windows, late C15 clerestory and N. windows. Interior: nave arcade of 3 bays. Fittings C13 font, plain octagonal bowl on base with 4 slender shafts and remains of carving between. Pulpit: C18, altered. Monuments in chancel: brasses to Thomas Chibnale 1534 and wives. Black marble slabs inside altar rails to C18 members of Lowndes family. On N. wall 3 monuments:- The L.H. monument is C17, Corinthian columns supporting entablature broken forward over columns and broken segmental pediment with inner scrolls and central cartouche of arms. The columns stand on a moulding broken forward under them and are supported on brackets of cherubs' heads between which is a small panel with white marble curved floral surround. The shafts of the columns, the frieze and the inscription panel are of black marble, the mouldings and pediment grey marble, and the caps and brackets white. The R.H. monument to William Lowndes, 1773, of Astwood Bury has a white inscription panel in Sienna marble surround, cornice and grey marble curved top with central portrait medallion. The panel stands on a string with alternative flutings and roundels above a curved apron with central coat of arms. Vidler fecit. In the centre is a monument to Margaret, wife of William Lowndes, probably by the same hand. An arched panel flanked by panelled pilasters, Sienna marble with white angles supporting cornice and broken pediment with central turn. Scrolls on outer sides of pilasters of red marble with white edges, and Sienna apron with white edges and central cartouche of arms. RCHM II p 57 MON 1

Listing NGR: SP9505247374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396692
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05169/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].