CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289711.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2020 at 21:52:08.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
- Dyrham and Hinton
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 74144 75804
ST 77 NW DYRHAM AND HINTON C.P. DYRHAM PARK
5/140 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Mid C13 origin, early C15 tower and porch, altered c.1470, south aisle restored for William Blathwayt after 1688, redecorated 1964 by E.F. Tew. Limestone rubble and freestone, stone dressings, Cotswold stone slate roofs with raised coped verges. West tower, south west porch, nave and chancel, north and south aisles. Perpendicular style tower, porch and south aisle. 3-stage tower has west door with pointed arch in surround of 2 roll-moulded and hollowed orders, hood mould, 3-light window above, 2nd stage has lancet at all sides and clock to south, 3rd stage has 2-light window with trefoil heads and pierced stone tracery, metal sundial to south; plinth, string courses, diagonal weathered buttresses, gargoyle to each corner and embattled parapet, stair turret to north with pitched roof and slit windows. Porch has pointed arched south door in hollow-moulded surround with hood mould, weathered diagonal buttresses and string course, pair of 2-light windows (unglazed) with trefoil heads to west, 2 gargoyles to south, quatrefoil frieze and cornice. North and south aisles have 3-light west window with pointed arch and trefoil heads, stopped hood mould; 5-bay north aisle has four 2-light north windows in chamfered rectangular reveal, buttresses; 4-bay south aisle has four 4-light south windows with flat heads and hood moulds, small blocked window to left with trefoil head and splayed reveal, string courses, weathered buttresses, central one with chimney, moulded eaves cornice; north aisle has early Perpendicular east window of 3 lights with stopped hood mould and door beneath. Chancel and south aisle have similar 3-light later windows with trefoil heads and hood moulds, larger in chancel, raised parapet wall between south aisle and chancel; all windows with leaded lights except chancel and tower windows. Interior: porch has flat common rafter roof, stone benches to sides, remains of C15 stone carving of praying woman, circular geometric scratch-mark to left, remains of holy water stoup to right of door, door has 4-centred arch, square moulded surround and heavy hood mould. Tower has west and south doors in deep reveals, small north door with irregular pointed arch to stair, door of 2 planks with strap hinges, tall pointed tower arch with chamfered inner shaft. North aisle has arcade of 3 arches, pointed outer arches and wider central span, 2 piers to west of 4 clustered shafts with moulded capitals and bases, eastern pier altered c.1470 to allow a rood screen to be carried across entrance to chancel, eastern arch springs from half-shaft on mask corbel. South aisle has arcade of 4 pointed arches, piers with slender shafts at corners and wave-mould between ringed capitals, low stone screen at base of east arch, east door to private entry to Dyrham House (q.v.), remains of piscina on south wall, chamfered triangular head to blocked window, south windows have inner segmental heads; ceiled wagon roof to nave and aisles with cornices. Fittings: late Norman font in nave with square bowl and 2 large scallops to each side, C17 vase-shaped stone font in south aisle with acanthus carved pedestal. Jacobean carved wooden pulpit in nave with sounding-board. C16 Flemish altar triptych. Remains of C18 carved panelling in chancel and Jacobean carved sanctuary chair. Mediaeval encaustic tiles on floor of south aisle. 9 hatchments in south aisle from early C18 to 1872 including large one of William Blathwayt, 1717. Stone coat of arms on south wall of aisle. Royal arms in tower. On floor of south aisle, brasses to Sir Maurice Russell, 1416, in armour, and Isobel his wife, with canopies and Latin verses. In south aisle, stone tomb of George Wynter, 1581 and his wife, stone recumbent effigies, canopy of 2 arches by one with Corinthian columns and heavy superstructure; finely carved hanging marble monument to Mary Blathwayt and her parents by John Harvey, contract dated 1710, cost £90; marble tablet to William Blathwayt, 1839, by Sievier. Stone monument in chancel with skull, scrolled open pediment and Latin inscription to William Laugton, 1663; wooden board to Rev. Mervin Perry and his wife, 1753; stone tablet to Amy Trewman, 1677. In north aisle, baroque stone monument with skull, swags and crossed bones to Isaac Tyler, 1693; marble monument to Francis Freeman, 1757; marble monument to Sir George Best Robinson, 1855; 3 C17 brass memorial plates, Thomas Weare, 1697, William Weare, 1697 and Mary Weare, 1639. Marble tablet in nave to Peter Grand, 1792. Chancel window contains 4 C15 tracery lights with figures under canopies, St. John the Baptist with bare legs, the Virgin, St. John the Evangelist (restored) and a female saint; in tracery of north aisle west window a piece of grisaille glass showing white rose of York; west window in tower, 1846, by Thomas Willement. (Sources: Verey, D.: Buildings of England Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds. 1970).
Listing NGR: ST7414675804
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing