This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1289931



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Padstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Apr-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 396124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PADSTOW CHURCH STREET (south side), Padstow SW 9075-9175 8/35 Church of St Petroc 24.4.53


Parish church. Dedicated to St Petroc. Circa C12 origins surviving in west tower and possibly chancel. Restored in circa 1855 and 1888-9 by S.D. Sedding. Stone rubble with moulded plinth. Stepped buttresses. Slate roof with gable ends with lower roof to chancel and chapels at east end of north and south aisles. Plan: Church rebuilt in early C12 with remains surviving in lower stage of tower and possibly east wall of chancel. Church considerably rebuilt in C15 when 7 bay north and south aisles were added and the west tower was raised to 3 stages. South porch rebuilt in C19 reusing circa C15 dressed stone. In 1888-9 the chancel was restored and the nave pews were reduced in height. A photograph depicting the church prior to this restoration hangs on the south wall. Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with set back angle buttresses and battlemented parapet. No west door. 3-light Perpendicular belfry openings with slate louvres Directly to west of tower, wall enclosing entrance to Prideaux family vault (qv Prideaux Place) with reset medieval cross taken from grounds of Prideaux Place and erected in memory of Charles Prideaux-Brune in 1833. Impressive 5-light Perpendicular chancel windows. Perpendicular windows to north and south aisle in Catacleuse stone, partly restored in the C19. Carved figures on buttresses at east end of south aisle with heraldic devices. Fine quality, circa late C17 raised and fielded panelled doors to north and south opposing entrances. Interior: Ceiled waggon roof to nave of fine quality with moulded ribs. C15 waggon roofs to north and south aisles, particulary complete to south aisle with carved corbelled angels at east end. Chancel roof replaced in C19. 2 centred tower arch of C12 or C13. 7-bay tall lofty arcades to north and south aisles. The 2 eastern bays lower; type A (Pevsner) piers in limestone. Circa early C19 pews reduced in height in 1888-9 restoration. 2 C15 bench ends in chancel. Catacleuse stone font, possibly C15, of table-top type with 12 apostles carved on the 4 faces of the bowl; four octagonal piers at corners and central round shaft. Pulpit possibly C16 restored in C19 with finely carved C16 panels. Rood loft stairs. Creed and Commandment boards in chancel. Memorials of fine quality including that of Sir Nicholas Prideaux 1627. Brass of L. Merther, 1421. Hosking, C and Boxall, M Church of St Petroc at Padstow. 1986 Pesvner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall. 2nd edition, 1970.

Listing NGR: SW9157875412

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hosking, C, Boxall, M , Church of St Petroc at Padstow, (1986)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SW 91575 75409


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 06:57:09.

End of official listing