MILNSBRIDGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1290158
Date first listed:
03-Mar-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
MILNSBRIDGE HOUSE, DOWKER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILNSBRIDGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290158 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 16:59:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILNSBRIDGE HOUSE, DOWKER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 11666 16033

Details

DOWKER STREET 1. 5113 (East Side) Milnsbridge Milnsbridge House (formerly listed as No 2, 4 and 6 (Milnsbridge House)) SE 1116 32/26 3.3.52. II* 2. Probably shortly after 1748. Architect possibly James Paire. Ashlar. Flat modern roof. 3 storeys with attics, and 2-storey wings. Modillioned pediment over whole central block, with Diocletian window in tympanum. Continuous sill band on 1st and ground floor. 5 ranges of sashes: central 1st floor window is set in recessed round-arched panel, and has moulded cornice on scrolled consoles. Wings have half pediments abutting centre block, continuous ground floor sills, and 2 window ranges each. North end elevation has 3 window ranges: door, set in recessed round-arched panel, has moulded surround and moulded cornice on fluted consoles. South end elevation has 3 window ranges: central 1st floor window is set in a recessed semi-circular panel, and central ground floor window is surmounted by a moulded cornice on fluted consoles. Former garden front (to east) differs from entrance front in following respects. Tympanum has an oculus set in a very elaborate Rococo cartouche. 1st floor windows have moulded cornices set above the voussoirs of otherwise plain frames: central window, however, has a moulded surround, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice on scrolled consoles. Ground floor windows have moulded surrounds, pulvinated friezes and moulded cornices. Central door has moulded surround with Wilton frame, pulvinated frieze and segmental pediment on scrolled consoles. Ground floor windows of wings are the same as the 1st floor windows of the centre. Interior, except for the north wing, was entirely gutted in recent years. Some fragments of lush Rococo plasterwork still adhere to outer walls. History: In the early C18 the house occupying this site belonged to John Dawson, on whose death it passed to his wife, Elizabeth. On the death of Elizabeth's second husband, William Radcliffe, in 1748, the property passed to their son, also William (1710-95), and (on stylistic grounds) it seems likely that he was the builder of the present house. On his death the house passed to his nephew Joseph Pickford of All Hill, Lancs, (1744-1819), who changed his name to Radcliffe. He distinguished himself as a J P in the Luddite disturbances of 1812, for which he was awarded a Baronetcy in 1813. The 2nd Baronet, Sir Joseph's grandson, appears not to have occupied the house as in the 5th vol of Neale's "Seats....." (1822) it is described as being occupied by Joseph Armitage, son of George Armitage of High Royd House, Honley. This must have been a lease, as Armitage did not buy it until 1825. It remained in the hands of the Armitage family until 1920.

Listing NGR: SE1166616033

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
339786
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Neale, J P, Views of Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen, (1822)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/14116/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].