THE MANOR AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1290378
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
THE MANOR AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290378 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:52:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MANOR AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipton-on-Cherwell and Thrupp
National Grid Reference:
SP 47983 16555

Details

SHIPTON ON CHERWELL AND THRUPP SHIPTON ON CHERWELL SP41NE 1/134 The Manor and attached 26/11/51 outbuildings (Formerly listed as Shipton House)

GV II

Manor house, now house. C16 origins; rebuilt early/mid C17; remodelled and extended to left c.1830 for William Turner. Squared and coursed limestone; stone-coped gabled stone slate roof; moulded stone ashlar ridge and end stacks. Double-depth plan. Two storeys and attic; symmetrical 3-window range to double-gabled range on right. Hood mould over C20 chamfered stone-mullioned window in blocked central doorway. Hood moulds over similar mid C19 three-light windows, and 2-light centre and attic windows. Mid C19 wing of 2-window range to left: hood mould over pointed moulded doorway and similar doorway and bell in inner porch; hood mould over similar 2-light window above; canted bay window to left with similar mullioned windows. Early C20 extension to far left in similar style. All windows have sashes with glazing bars and plate glass. Interior: hall has panelled doors set in reeded architraves; mid C19 panelled doors set in moulded architraves. Early C17 moulded stone fireplaces with sunk spandrels to rooms on right and rear right; similar fireplace with foliate spandrels to room on left. Mid C19 central staircase with turned balusters. Early C17 chamfered and stop-chamfered beams on first and ground floors to right of hall. Attic: to right of hall is late C16 collar truss of heavy scantling, and C17 four-bay butt-purlin roof and plank and ribbed doors. Subsidiary features: C17 range of outbuildings surround courtyard on right; buttressed walls of coursed limestone rubble, and gabled stone slate roof; hood mould over C13 reset pointed chamfered doorway to front, and C18 arched double entry to rear right; square stone piers to open fronts facing yard; roofs are C19, and stone steps to rear right. (Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4798316555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
395059
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16206/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].