WALKER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1290442
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1984
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Jun-1992
Statutory Address:
WALKER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290442.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:38:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALKER MONUMENT APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
South Ribble (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54136 21564

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/10/2012

SD 52 SW 119/8/20

LEYLAND CHURCH ROAD Walker monument approx. 20 metres south of chancel of Church of St Andrew

(Formerly listed as Raised slab over grave c.20 metres south of chancel of Church of St.Andrew)

GV II*

Raised monumental slab. Probably 1588. Commemorates William Walker, Clerk of the Parish of Leyland (d.1588). Sandstone. Rectangular slab on low stone base. The surface bears a very unusual life-sized primitive figure drawn with incised line of flowing simplicity, and the margin has a continuous inscription round all 4 sides, beginning at the head:

HEARE LIETH THE BODIE OF WILLIAM WALKER BATCHELOROF MUSICKE OF THIS PARISHE OF LEYLAND FOR THE SPACE OF XXV YEARES AND DYED THE XX APRIL 1588

(the name "Walker" now worn and almost illegible). There are also inscriptions above the head of the figure:

Musica Mentis Medicina Maestae (translation: "Music the Medicine of a Sad Soul"); to the left of the head the initials: B R:C

and below the feet another Latin inscription:

Nulla die sine Linea

(approximate translation: "No day without a purpose"); and left of this the initials:

W.F. Esq

(probably William Farington).

HISTORY: may have connection with Shakespeare, since Shakespeare as a young man is now thought to have been in the households of the Hoghton family of Lea and Hoghton and the Hesketh family of Rufford during the 1580s (ref. E.A.J.Honigman Shakespeare: the 'lost years', Manchester 1985); William Farington of Worden has been suggested as the model for the character of Malvolio in Twelfth Night; and the first line of this play ("If music be the food of love, play on") clearly echoes the first Latin inscription quoted above. NOTE: at the time of this inspection (June 1992), the monument was found to have been seriously disturbed (though not defaced), the slab turned at right angles and pushed off its base.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357926
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Honingham, E A J, Shakespeare The Lost Years, (1985)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01753/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].