60 AND 62, CONSTITUTION HILL B19

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1290568
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1982
Statutory Address:
60 AND 62, CONSTITUTION HILL B19

Map

Ordnance survey map of 60 AND 62, CONSTITUTION HILL B19
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 21:24:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
60 AND 62, CONSTITUTION HILL B19

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 06653 87689

Details

CONSTITUTION HILL 1. 5104 City Centre B19 Nos 60 and 62 SP 0687 NE 25/1 II 2. Circa 1820-30 works built for Fenners and Betteridge, Japanners, Papier Mache and Pearl Inlay Manufacturers. Altered to rear as offices. Three storey symmetrical painted brick front with plinth, painted stone cornice and parapet with coping. Revealed sash windows, squat on 2nd floor, some retaining glazing bars. All have block sills and moulded friezes flanked by consoles supporting thin cornices. Central waggon and occupying 2 bays, segmental arch flanked by pilasters with large console brackets to panelled frieze, projecting cornice surmounted by swept end pedestal for Royal Arms of 1801-37 type, a lively polychrome composition set against a trophy of small arms, poles, trumpets and flags - probably of Coade stone. Office doorway to right of archway has giant elongated coupled consoles instead of pilasters, the curvilinear fronts panelled, supporting sections of entablature with cartouche panels and moulded cornice over. Early and unaltered example of works elevation.



Listing NGR: SP0663787688

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
216998
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01229/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].