Parish Church of St Cecilia

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1290608
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St Cecilia, Church End, SG11 2DY

Map

Ordnance survey map of Parish Church of St Cecilia
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290608.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:35:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
Parish Church of St Cecilia, Church End, SG11 2DY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Hadham
National Grid Reference:
TL 44620 22778

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/07/2017

TL 4422 8/14

LITTLE HADHAM Church End Parish Church of St Cecilia

(Formerly listed as located at: CHAPEL LANE (west side), Church End)

22.02.67

GV

I Parish church. Largely C14 reconstruction of small church of a hilltop, shrunken, medieval village, a little west of Hadham Hall. Flint rubble with stone dressings for nave, chancel and west tower: red brick for late C16 north transept and C19 vestry. Old red roof tiles to north transept and timber south porch, slates to nave and chancel. Walls of unaisled nave possibly dateable to C12 by semicircular inner arch of altered north door. Imposing late C14 west tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet, short leaded spire with wind vane, and west door with two-centred arch within a square surround under a dripmould with carved heads as terminals. Similar dripmould terminals to three-light west window with marginal inscription in glazing 'Restituta AD 1845 Rectore T R'.

C14 square-ended chancel of same width as nave with timber screen and change of roof height as only divisions. Diagonal buttresses at east end and added at west end of nave.

Chancel extensively restored 1883 by Sir Arthur Blomfield (1829-99) for Mr Bury, first rector of newly separated parish. He refaced the east and south walls in flintwork and provided a new three-light east window, pine hammer-beam roof, seating, encaustic tile floor and steps, altar, carved stone reredos, iron altar rail, and small vestry on north (Marshall (nd) 6-7). Late C14, wide two-bay, open timber framed, gabled porch with trefoil heads to sidelights and heavy cusped bargeboard with central ogee. Heavy door frame with (? renewed) four-centred head. Large late C16 north transept in narrow red brick with tiled roof, diagonal buttresses, gable parapet, three-light arched windows in east and west walls, arched doorway with square surround on east wall and four-light north window with intersecting tracery.

A wide four-centred moulded arch on semi-octagonal piers and moulded caps opens from the nave into the transept which appears to have provided a gallery and private entrance in its east wall for the Capell family of Hadham Hall. This converted the linear medieval church plan to a classic T-plan, Protestant auditory focused on the pulpit in the middle of the south wall. A tall octagonal pulpit with tester, dated 1633, now stands there, converted to a three-decker

A layout plan of 1692 (HRO) shows much the present arrangement of pews except that the south east block now faces the altar. Fragmentary painted inscriptions on east and west walls of gallery with strapwork surround on west. Moulded cornice/wall-plate on east and west. Carved arabesques in top row of wall panelling in transept and on south wall of nave. Low pitched C15 queen post roof to nave in four bays with moulded, cambered tie beams supported on long curved braces, with cusped, pierced spandrels, from wall posts, rising from sculptured stone corbels. Royal Arms with 'GR 1825' in centre of truss against west wall. Moulded oak C15 chancel screen with five narrow traceried lights each side of entrance, mullions carved as stepped buttresses, pomegranate scroll carved on rail of two panels each side of entrance, the rest left plain and mullions recessed for former altars on each side. Eight medieval tiles used as threshold in entrance (four more hung in vestry doorway). Late C14 piscina on south of altar. On west wall of nave two large C18 benefaction boards to Mr John Hammon and Mr Thomas Chapman, each with eared architrave, rounded head and broken pediment over. Octagonal stone font said to be C16 (VCH (1914) 56). Brasses on boards on south wall, a knight and lady c.1485: a priest C15. Fine inscribed floor slabs north and south of altar raised from Capel vault in 1883 restoration. Late C16 and C17 pews in nave.

Of outstanding interest for its C16 north transept and its conversion to a Protestant T-plan church, with its nave layout and fittings complete. A hilltop landmark and part of a picturesque hamlet group (RCHM (1911) 144-5: VCH (1914) 55-8: Pevsner (1977) 240: John Marshall Little Hadham Church (nd privately printed): for porch Smith T P in Vernacular Architecture 7 (1976) 30-33).

Listing NGR: TL4462022778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
394863
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 55-8
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 240
'Vernacular Architecture' in Vernacular Architecture, , Vol. 7, (1976), 30-33
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05225/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Brunton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].