22, CASTLE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1290779
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1953
Statutory Address:
22, CASTLE PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1290779.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 21:59:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
22, CASTLE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 47393 61753

Details

LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK 1685-1/6/54 (South side) 22/12/53 No.22

GV II*

House. Early C18, altered and extended to the rear in 1765-66 and refronted c1800. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings on the front, random and coursed rubble and some ashlar at the rear. Slate roof with gable chimney stack to the right. L-plan, with a double-depth main range and a long narrow range to the rear. 3 storeys over a cellar and 2 bays under a prominent eaves cornice. All the windows have moulded architraves; those on the ground and first floors have 12-pane sashes, those on the second have 9 panes. On the left the doorway, up 5 steps with nosings, has a simple moulded architrave, a pulvinated frieze and a cornice, and a door with 9 raised and fielded panels under an over light with radiating glazing bars. The left edge of the facade is slightly overlapped by No.24 (qv) which projects, while the top floor rises above both adjoining properties. At the rear, the tall round-headed stair window, with imposts and a keystone, has Gothick intersecting glazing bars. The south end of the long rear wing - apparently adapted from a former outbuilding, since the east wall incorporates a blocked C17 doorway - was remodelled c1765 with a 2-storey canted bay, of ashlar on the first floor, which is approached externally by a fine curved stone staircase of nosed steps with iron stick balusters. INTERIOR: unusual plan resulting from alterations and additions. 2 ground-floor rooms contain very large rectangular stone fireplaces; the first of these rooms has doors with raised and fielded panels with L-hinges and a built-in cupboard with butterfly hinges. Geometrical staircase with stick balusters and a wreathed curtail. Adam-style fireplaces in the first-floor rooms, including the drawing room in the rear wing. HISTORY: the house probably antedates its neighbour, No.20 (qv), and was incorporated into it by Allan Harrison c1740. The rear extension was built at the expense of George Wilson (of Abbot Hall, Kendal) who married Harrison's daughter, Ann. The clerk of works appears to have been Richard Gillow. At that time the house was let to Thomas Saul, who later built High Street House, High Street, (qv).

Listing NGR: SD4739261749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
383086
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12816/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Thoume. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].