This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1291477



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Manchester

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 388277

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SJ8297 LIVERPOOL ROAD 698-1/18/213 (North side) 18/12/63 Former Liverpool Road Railway Station, and Station Master's House


Also known as: Museum of Science and Industry, Liverpool Road Station LOWER BYROM STREET. Passenger railway station at terminus of Liverpool and Manchester Railway, now part of museum complex. 1830, by George Stephenson for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway Company, with attached house of 1808, formerly occupied by station agent; altered. Red brick, the booking offices faced with sandstone ashlar and stucco; hipped slate roofs. Rectangular plan parallel to street, with house to left and added range of former shops to right. Classical style. The BOOKING OFFICES, which back onto an embankment carrying the railway line at 1st floor level to the rear, have a 2-storey 4-bay facade (2:1:2:1 windows), symmetrical except for the 4th bay, with channelled rustication to the ground floor, panelled pilasters to the upper floor, a moulded cornice and high parapet with cornice and blocking course. The 2nd bay (the centre of the symmetrical portion, containing the entrance to the 1st Class booking hall) breaks forward slightly, has a large square-headed doorway with an architrave of coupled pilasters, moulded cornice and blocking course surmounted by a vase-pedestal sundial, and a recessed panelled door with rectangular overlight; and at 1st floor a tripartite sashed window with a cornice. The flanking bays have 15-pane sashed windows at ground floor flanked by wide segmental-headed tripartite sashed windows with glazing bars, and 12-pane sashes at 1st floor with moulded architraves. The 4th bay, containing the entrance to the 2nd Class booking hall, has a doorway at ground floor similar to the other but with single pilasters, and a 12-pane sash above like the others. Interior: separate booking halls and staircases leading to platform. Rear: 2 doorways to the platform with moulded stone surrounds, a tripartite sashed window to the left of the 1st Class doorway and a one-light sash to the left of the other. To the east, an added hipped-roof platform canopy on slender iron columns (C20 offices with glazed screen wall inserted under this roof). The former HOUSE to the left of the booking offices, 3 storeys and 3 bays to the same height, symmetrical, has a doorway with pedimented stone architrave, sashed windows of 16 panes at ground and 1st floors and 12 panes at 2nd floor, all with raised sills and flat-arched heads, and modillioned eaves; and a double-splayed left corner to the return wall, with sashed and blind windows. To the right of the booking offices is a long 9-bay range, recently rebuilt or restored, formerly with shops at ground floor and a train shed above, which is stuccoed at ground floor, has coupled pilasters, 1st-floor sill-band, moulded cornice and high brick parapet (carried across from the booking offices), and most bays with symmetrical openings including a round-headed doorway at ground floor flanked by windows in segmental-headed blank arches, and 2 windows above. HISTORY: oldest surviving passenger railway station in the world; ceased to handle passenger traffic in 1844 (when Hunt's Bank station was opened, now Victoria Station, q.v.), but continued in use as goods station until 1975. Forms group with Old Warehouse on opposite side of railway track (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ8295297867

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 82952 97867


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291477 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 10:37:34.

End of official listing