FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1291672
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1979
Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARK, ST MARKS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 15:22:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER CHURCH OF ST MARK, ST MARKS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 52707 29871

Details

PRESTON

SD5229 ST MARK'S ROAD 941-1/6/261 (South side) 27/09/79 former Church of St Mark

GV II*

Church, closed in 1983 and disused at time of survey. 1862-3, by E.G.Paley; tower added 1870. Sandstone ashlar, slate roof. Nave with north Decorated transepts, apsidal chancel, and tower in north-east angle. Decorated style. The 4-bay buttressed nave has a moulded sill-band carried round and hoodmoulds with block stops (some damaged and those on the north side partly boarded), and a plain parapet. The west front has massive buttresses with offsets embracing a 3-bay open porch which has plain stone columns with plain square caps carrying a gabled 2-centred arch and stilted side arches, and above this a large 2-centred arched 5-light window with a multifoil in the head and hoodmould with block stops. The transepts, almost full-height, each have 2 small 2-light windows and a large circular window above, that on the north side with wheel tracery and that on the south side with a plate-traceried multifoil surrounded by quatrefoils. The 3-sided apse has tall 2-light windows rising into gables. The tower, of 4 unequal stages with clasping buttresses to the first two and a narrow octagonal stair-turret at the south-east corner, has a tall 3rd stage with 2 very tall narrow 2-light traceried windows in each side (leaded glazing now damaged), and a shorter top stage with clasping corner pinnacles and two louvred 2-light belfry windows each under a steeply-pitched gablet rising through the pierced parapet. INTERIOR not inspected. Forms a group with 67 to 91 Wellington Street on south side (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD5270729871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392153
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].