REDLAND COURT (REDLAND HIGH SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1291739
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
REDLAND COURT (REDLAND HIGH SCHOOL), REDLAND COURT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of REDLAND COURT (REDLAND HIGH SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291739.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:05:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
REDLAND COURT (REDLAND HIGH SCHOOL), REDLAND COURT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST5828574844

Details

BRISTOL

ST315874 REDLAND COURT ROAD, Redland 901-1/35/1719 (West side) 08/01/59 Redland Court (Redland High School) (Formerly Listed as: REDLAND COURT ROAD, Redland (West side) Redland Court)

II*

House, now school. 1732-5. By John Strachan. For John Cossins. Limestone ashlar, render with limestone dressings, ashlar stacks, Pennant steps, roof not visible. Axial, double-depth plan. Palladian style. 2 storeys and basement; 13-window range. Symmetrical composition of a central 7-window block, with flanking pavilions behind. The main block has steps up over the basement to a slightly projecting centre, which has a rusticated ground floor with three C19 French windows beneath tented glazed verandah, beneath a tetrastyle-in-antis Ionic portico to a modillion pediment with 4 putti around a cartouche, and 3 windows with architraves beneath swag. Either side has clasping pilasters, sill bands, cornices and balustrade with 7 good urns; Gibbs surrounds to basement and ground-floor windows, the latter with eared architraves with prominent voussoirs over cornices, and first-floor windows with architraves and cornices, all with plate-glass sashes. The pavilions have rusticated pilasters to a cornice and parapet, with plain urns; the ground floor has a Venetian window with a shell-head niche flanked by narrow windows with Gibbs surrounds and voussoirs, above a blind balustrade, and plain first-floor sashes. C19 upper floor to the right pavilion and an octagonal cupola to the left one. The connecting ranges have 2 semicircular-arched ground-floor windows and small plain windows under a cornice. INTERIOR: 3 good front rooms fully panelled, modillion cornices, and fluted Ionic pilasters to segmental arches and 4-fold doors connecting the central and E room, and good marble fireplaces. A central stone-flagged hall to the rear with decorative ceiling, Doric frieze and doorcase with a broken pediment and a mahogany 6-panel door; either side are 2 good open-well stairs, that to left following the semicircular wall to a quarter landing, with a semi-domed ceiling, barleysugar column-on-vase balusters and fluted Doric column newels, ramped rails and pedimented doorcases, Doric frieze with bucrania; the right-hand open-well stair has quarter landings and plainer column-on-vase balusters, and doorcases with segmental pediments. HISTORICAL NOTE: an Elizabethan house was demolished on the site in 1730, and some of the panelling re-used. The house was built for John Cossins; the design uses details derived from Colen Campbell, at Houghton. (Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 164; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 133; Dening C F W: The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol: Bristol: 1923-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 471).

Listing NGR: ST5828574844

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380318
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dening, C F W , The Eighteenth Century Architecture of Bristol, (1923)
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 133
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 164
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 471

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].