CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1291953.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2020 at 15:21:24.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North East Derbyshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 34868 63124
SK 3463; 1264-0/11/24
ASHOVER, CHURCH STREET (West side)
Church of All Saints
Church. Early and late C15, with late C13 and mid C14 remains. Squared sandstone with shallow-pitched lead roofs and with embattled parapets to all except for the north aisle roof. Comprises a west tower with a stone spire set back behind embattled parapets, a nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, a south porch, and a north vestry and organ chamber.
The tower is of three stages with angle buttresses and has bell openings of two cinquefoiled lights with dagger tracery below flat heads. The lower stages are blank on the north side and have a window of one ogee light facing west. The south wall includes a slit window, a clock face, and a round-arched doorway under a straight cornice. Below the parapet are stone gargoyles. The clerestory has 3-light mullioned windows with flat heads and with slightly pointed heads to the lights. The north aisle has similar windows, with lights which are either segmental or slightly pointed. Three windows face north and one faces west. The north wall contains a doorway with moulded trefoiled ogee head and has a projecting boiler house with chimney. Set back to the east its the one-bay organ chamber which has a C19 window of three cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Adjoining to the east is the vestry, which has a pointed doorway with a one-light window to its left and a 2-light window to its right. The south aisle is of three bays to the east of the porch and has mullioned windows of three lights with round heads under straight lintels. The porch has an outer arch which is pointed and chamfered in two orders. The coped gable is of shallow pitch and has a Cl8 stone sundial of square plan at the apex. The inner doorway appears to have been rebuilt and is of late C13 type, with a pointed arch moulded in three orders and with angle shafts. The east window of the south aisle is of three lights with renewed Perpendicular tracery under a Tudor-arched head. The east window of the chancel is of similar type. The three windows in the south wall of the chancel are each of three lights under flat lintels. The door to the right of the left-hand window has a chamfered ogee arch with a carved head in the centre of its hood mould.
INTERIOR: The internal walls are of exposed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. The tower arch is pointed and wave moulded in two orders. The northern nave arcade has four bays of steeply pointed arches chamfered in two orders springing from octagonal piers with moulded caps. A 5th, eastern, bay has a lower arch. The south arcade is of four bays with taller pointed arches chamfered in two orders and with slim octagonal piers. The chancel archway is partly a C19 reconstruction and is pointed and chamfered in two orders. The outline of an earlier roof, below the level of the present clerestory, can be seen in the wall above, and also above the tower arch. To the south of the arch a squint opens into the chancel. To the north a doorway and steps in the east wall of the north aisle formerly led to a rood loft. The boarded roof over the nave was renewed in 1968 and is of a shallow pitch with exposed tie beams, rafters and purlins. The south aisle roof also appears to be a C20 renewal, but the north aisle roof may be C16 and has chamfered rafters and a moulded ridge and principals. The north wall of the chancel contains two chamfered recesses with ogee arches. Set within each is a moulded bracket. Between them is a vestry doorway with moulded Tudor arch and ribbed plank door.
The organ is set within a pointed archway. The boarded roof has three shallow iron-strapped king-post trusses. The lead font dates from c1200. It is set on a moulded octagonal base and is ornamented with 20 figures of men clad in flowing drapery and set within semicircular arches. Above the tower arch are boards painted with the Lord's Prayer, Creed, and Ten Commandments. The chancel screen was moved from the north aisle to its present position in the 1860s. It dates from 1511 and is of oak with Perpendicular tracery and a central Tudor archway. The pulpit is of C17 oak panelling. The south aisle contains an alabaster tomb chest with effegies of Thomas Babington (d. 1518) and his wife. The sides of the chest are decorated with crocketed ogee archways containing figures of saints, angels, and mourners. At the east end of the chancel are two early C16 brasses.
Wall monuments include one to Francis Parkes (d. 1713) to the east of the south doorway, which has a cartouche, carved cherubs, and a cameo bust of a man. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass windows include one in memory of John Lee (d. 1915) with figures of 3 saints.
Listing NGR: SK3486863124
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing