CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1292171
Date first listed:
08-May-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, FORDINGTON HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292171.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:20:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, FORDINGTON HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Dorchester
National Grid Reference:
SY 69853 90559

Details



738/7/116

FORDINGTON HIGH STREET (Northeast side) CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

08-MAY-50

I South door late C11, South aisle and north part of porch C12. South transept C14. Tower, south part of porch, west wall of south aisle, arches to nave and south aisle of south transept late C15. South transept re-modelled in 1754 (when a now-destroyed chancel was added). North aisle and north arcade 1833 (arcade replaced in 1907). Whole of remainder 1907. The architect of the extensions of 1833 was the Rev Henry Moule (Vicar from 1829 to 1870). The architect of the rebuilding in 1907 was Jem Feacy of Dorchester at the instance of the Rev R G Bartelot. The most remarkable features of the fabric are the south doorway and the west tower. South doorway has a carved tympanum of Caen stone in a very realistic style (c.f. Bayeux Tapestry of late C11), representing St George, mounted, with praying soldiers on the left and dead or dying soldiers on the right. It allegedly represents St George's miraculous intervention in the Battle of Antioch (1093). West tower is ashlar. 2 strings, moulded eaves cornice, and crenellated parapet. Set back buttresses, with gargoyles at eaves cornice, and diagonally-placed pinnacles with crocketed tops. Polygonal stair tower projecting at north east corner, surmounted by more crocketed pinnacles. 2 bell openings with transoms and Perpendicular tracery on each side of upper stage. West window with perpendicular tracery. Stained glass in west and south transept windows by Morris and Co (1903 and 1913, from older cartoons), Communion rail of circa 1700 from Milton Abbey. Altar: circa 1390, ashlar, brought from Salisbury Cathedral in 1958; panelled Perpendicular front. Doors under west tower Bavarian circa 1750, brought here in 1935, 2 shaped panels each with Rococo ornament in upper ones. Door in south porch entrance dated 1717 in nails. Pulpit dated 1592, ashlar; panelled, carved initials (possibly the oldest post-Reformation stone pulpit). Font C15, ashlar, octagonal, panelled sides. Chancel stalls C17. Roman tomb-stone in nave.

Listing NGR: SY6985390561

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
104265
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15167/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].