CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1292175
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WILDEN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292175.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:43:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, WILDEN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wyre Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Stourport-on-Severn
National Grid Reference:
SO 82419 72217

Details

STOURPORT ON SEVERN

SO8272 WILDEN LANE, Wilden 589-1/4/97 (East side) 05/07/50 Church of All Saints

II

Church. 1880. By W.F. Hopkins. Brick with stone dressings and plain tiled roof. Late C13 Gothic style. Nave with western bellcote and chancel without structural division. Doorway in ornately carved timber south porch, with traceried spandrels and panels above the entrance arch. South door itself has plain roll moulded stone arch. Blue brick plinth and sill band to butressed south wall, stone dressings to windows, which are lancets, arranged singly or paired, with plain trefoils to nave, cusped to chancel. Taller window in gable marks the junction of nave and chancel. Central buttress in west wall, between paired lancet windows with quatrefoil heads, and bellcote corbelled out on a stone arch with quatrefoil light. Projecting coped gable in north wall with Decorated window. Chancel roof sweeps over vestry to north. Decorated east window. Interior is also exposed brick with blue brick bands and stone dressings. Painted texts on dado band, and over south doorway. Although there is no chancel arch, the distinction between nave and chancel is marked by different roof detailing: the basic roof structure is a series of cross-braced trusses with wrought-iron ties, but in the chancel, these have additional hammer beam supports, with traceried panels and quatrefoils in the spandrels. The slope of the roof between the trusses is also embellished with quatrefoiled wind braces. Paired hammered coronae to chancel. There is a complete scheme of glazing by Morris and Company, installed between 1900-1925 in commemoration of the family of Alfred Baldwin. The designs use earlier cartoons by Sir Edward Burne Jones, Ford Maddox Brown and William Morris. South and north lancets lights each contain a single figure (saints and virtues), set against a foliate ground. East window has Christ with children in central light, flanked by St George and St Martin, with small narrative scenes of angels below. West window has angels playing musical instruments. The church was endowed by Alfred Baldwin, whose wife was the sister of Lady Burne Jones. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner; Sewter: Catalogue of Glass by Burne Jones: 1975-: 203-4).

Listing NGR: SO8241972217

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393390
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)
Sewter, A C, Catalogue of Glass by Burne Jones, (1975), 203-4

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01873/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Williamson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].