CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1292201
Date first listed:
20-Sep-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292201.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 07:46:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishop Auckland
National Grid Reference:
NZ 21166 30116

Details

BISHOP AUCKLAND

NZ2130 MARKET PLACE 634-1/8/95 Church of St Anne 20/09/72

GV II

Chapel of ease, with railings and gate attached. Incorporating community centre since 1985. On site of medieval chapel. 1846-8. Designed by William Thompson. Built by William Edgar. Alterations 1867, and internal alterations 1893. MATERIALS: coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings. PLAN: chancel with north organ chamber and south vestry, aisled 4-bay nave with south porch, and west belfry. EXTERIOR: Early English style. East elevation has 3 lancets to chancel, boarded doors in pointed arched surround to aisle and straight headed vestry door. South elevation has 3-light vestry window under low gable with stone cross finial. Other lights lancets, paired in aisles and very long in west, with dripmoulds with head stops. Gabled porch in 3rd nave bay has deeply moulded surround to double boarded doors. West elevation has stepped buttresses to clerestory height, boarded central door in moulded surround, corbelled octagonal belfry rising between lancets to arcaded lancet louvres and stone spirelet. Steeply gabled roofs, lower over chancel and pent on aisles, have stone gable copings with stone cross finials. Railings attached to east end enclose door to chancel aisle and have spike heads and iron gate loop. INTERIOR plastered with ashlar arcades and dressings. Chancel and porch waggon roofs, nave arch braced trusses with high collar with trefoil in western apex. Dripstrings to double chamfered pointed arches of nave arcades with moulded capitals on octagonal piers. South arcade blocked and community centre formed by glazed screen with filleted mullions and transoms. Pointed chancel arch on shafts. Wider organ arches to chancel and north aisle, the latter filled with Gothic wood screen. FITTINGS include chancel panelling and reredos with blind tracery and high cresting, the reredos also having painted panels. Perpendicular tracery to organ arch. Octagonal pulpit with brass handrails, octagonal font of painted stone dated 1892, gift of the children of the Barrington School, with C17 style carved wood cover dated 1893 gift of the teachers. Choir pews have poppyheads and pierced flowing tracery, nave pews have shaped ends with nailhead decoration. Glass with heraldic devices, including arms of Bishop Cosin in west windows, set in clear lights. East window memorial to John Proud and his wife Ellen d.1905 & 1882, figures set in grisaille and signed Percy Bacon Bros 11 Newman Street London. The church paid for by public subscription, including 1,000 guineas from Bishop Maltby. (St Anne's Bishop Auckland; A Brief Historical Sketch: Bishop Auckland; Directory of County Durham: 1894: 328).

Listing NGR: NZ2116630116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
385722
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whellan, , A History Topography and Directory of The County Palatine of Durham, (1894), 328

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03242/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].