This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1292259



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Isle of Wight

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Arreton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Nov-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392615

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SZ58NW ARRETON STREET 1353-0/2/13 Arreton Manor 21/07/51 (Formerly Listed as: SOUTH ARRETON Arreton Manor) II*

Large manor house. Built between 1595 and 1612 by Sir Humphrey Barnet with central porch added in 1634 and 1812 addition on left hand side, restored and extended to rear in C20. Built of Isle of Wight stone rubble with ashlar quoins. Tiled roof with 3 clustered diagonally placed chimneystacks. Elizabethan H shape plan appearing E-shaped now with early C17 porch. 2 storeys and attics in centre, 3 storeys to wings. 5 windows. End gables and porch have stone moulded coping and kneelers. Moulded stone band between floors. Plinth. Mullioned windows with hollow chamfered moulding and drip moulding above. End ground floor windows appear to be 1812 replacements. 2 storeyed central porch dated 1639 has 2 centred arched doorway on the outside and 2 centred door on the inside with blank spandrels. Porch has chamfered beams with lambs tongue stops. C17 studded door. Flight of 6 stone steps, flanked by C19 stone seated mastiffs. To west is an 1812 1 bay addition. 2 storeys coursed stone rubble with brick dressings, tiled roof with 1 brick chimneystack and 1 mullioned window. To north of this is an C18 gabled wing, the floor of stone rubble, the attic of red brick in Flemish bond and tiled roof. The rear elevation has a large external stone chimneystack. The area between the gabled projections at the rear has been infilled with a C20 stone flat-roofed extension. Hall has Jacobean plank and muntin panelling with reeded pilasters on the north side. (This was originally in the West bedroom and was sold but later returned to the house. The overmantel from this room is said to be in the entrance hall of the Priory at Seaview.) To the east is a very elaborate late Medieval screen of oak and elm but probably introduced in the C20. The Dining Parlour was formerly the Court house for the Manorial court. It has panelling of c.1630, including a finely carved overmantel with coat of arms of Sir Thomas Barnet owner of the manor at the time, flanked by strapwork panels with carving of lady fishing, and Jupiter with a thunderbolt, probably North German or Flemish separate carvings. Ionic pilasters to sides with lion's mask, floral drops and claws. Stone 4 centred arched fireplace. Plank and muntin panelling with Ionic pilasters with grapevine motif surmounted by grotesques and cornice with tendrils. On the brackets are carvings of Justice and Mercy. Iron fireback of c.1605 with Coat of Arms of James I. Chamfered bressumer with heart motif, similar to carvings at Yarmouth Castle and in some smaller manor houses and farmhouses of the period. Staircase has been much renewed but top retains turned newel post and turned balusters and an internal framed wall has square framing and a display panel of wattle and daub. The Long Room has a C17 stone fireplace and 8 panelled door. The West Bedroom has a closet door with carved panel and butterfly hinges. The panelling in the hall was formerly in this room. Roof of through purlin construction. Ground floor of east wing has a 2 centred arched doorway and 2 rooms with early C17 square framed partitions, chamfered spine beams with heart stops and 4 centred arched stone fireplaces. 2 centred arched doorcase and plank door. Kitchen in west wing has chamfered spine beam with heart stops. Stone fireplace with breadoven and some C17 plank and muntin panelling. Built on the site of a monastic grange belonging to Quar Abbey. (Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 731; The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight: C W R Winter: V.C.H. Vol. V. p.140: 29-33).

Listing NGR: SZ5333786866

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1912), 140
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 731
Winter, CWR , The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight

National Grid Reference: SZ 53337 86866


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2017 at 11:02:31.

End of official listing