PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY AND CHURCHYARD WALL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY AND CHURCHYARD WALL, KING STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292280.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 17:44:43.
- Statutory Address:
- PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY AND CHURCHYARD WALL, KING STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA0928NE KING STREET 680-1/22/226 (East side) 13/10/52 Parish Church of the Holy Trinity and churchyard wall (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET Church of the Holy Trinity)
Parish church and attached churchyard wall. Mainly 1300-1425. Transepts 1300-1320, chancel 1320-1360, nave 1389-1418, tower c1500. Vestries to south-east 1873 and c1930. Restored 1841-45 by HF Lockwood and 1859-72 by George Gilbert Scott. Brick and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. Plinth, sill band, string courses, buttresses topped with crocketed pinnacles, traceried and crenellated parapets. Nave and chancel, both with aisles, transepts, crossing tower, south porch, south chapel, vestries. Buttressed east end has a crested parapet with quatrefoils to the chancel, and a central niche topped with a pinnacle. Central larger 7-light window flanked by single 5-light windows, all with elaborate flowing tracery and hoodmoulds. Clerestorey has 10 lancets. North and south chancel aisles have five 4-light windows with simpler flowing tracery. Single-storey vestries adjoining south chancel aisle have plinth, string course and traceried crenellated parapet. Windows are Perpendicular lancets with flat heads and label moulds. To left, 2 triple lancets flanked by similar double lancets, that to far left without label mould. To right, a pointed-arched door and to right again, 2 triple lancets. East end has a similar window. Single-storey Broadley Chapel, to left, restored C18, has central gabled buttress and angle buttress to right, both topped with pinnacles. 2 traceried Perpendicular triple lancets with Tudor arched heads and ogee hoodmoulds with finials. Brick transepts have 6-light lancets with pointed quatrefoils and spherical triangles. Above, a quatrefoil window. To east and west, simpler triple lancets, those to the south transept truncated. Restored north doorway with moulded head and triple filleted shafts. South gable has a buttressed, gabled porch with stone slate roof and blocked doorway. On either side, single C20 three-light windows. Nave west end has a 9-light lancet with panel tracery and hoodmould. Above it, traceried parapet with central figure niche topped with a pinnacle. Below, a doorway with moulded cusped arch and ogee hoodmould with finial. On either side, 3 cusped canopied figure niches. Clerestorey has 16 triple lancets. Aisle west ends have 7-light lancets. On either side, 8 similar 5-light lancets. All the windows have hoodmoulds. Crossing tower, 2 stages, has gabled angle buttresses on the lower stage and clasping buttresses above, topped with pinnacles. Openwork parapet with 4 intermediate pinnacles. Lower stage has on each side 2 triple lancets with depressed segmental heads and hoodmoulds. Bell stage has 2 pointed triple lancet bell openings on each side with ogee hoodmoulds and pinnacles. All the transoms are crenellated. On each side, a skeleton clock dial. South-west porch has plinth, string course and crenellated parapet. Moulded doorway with hoodmould. On the east side, a segment-headed recess containing a blocked double opening. Interior has low pitched roof with moulded ridge and rafters, and restored moulded doorway with hoodmould and angel stops. Traceried panelled double doors. 3 memorial tablets, late C17 and late C18. To right, under the fifth aisle window, a segment-headed double doorway, now glazed, to the former Alcock Chantry, late C15. To right, single-storey parapeted vestry, 1932, with 3 flat-headed triple lancets. To its left, a lower boiler house in a similar style, with 2 double lancets. INTERIOR: Choir has 5-bay arcades with piers with 4 round shafts separated by 4 hollows, foliate capitals and moulded arches with hoodmoulds. Ambulatory in eastern bay has memorial window, c1920, by Clayton & Bell. Below it, a wooden war memorial, c1920, in the form of a reredos with canopied central niche. East end has stone reredos, 1886, in C15 style, with crested canopy to central triple niche, and flanking stone screens, with similar screens in the east bays of the arcade. Western bays have traceried wooden screens, with doorways in the centre bay. Clerestorey has 10 windows with hoodmoulds and sill band. Restored low pitched roof with painted panels and bosses. Choir aisles have similar unpainted roofs. South aisle has stained-glass east window, c1920, and south side windows 1951, 1918 and 1880. Under the east window, a panelled wooden war memorial. South side has to east, a window opening with piscina below, from the former Eland Chantry, 1542. To west, two C19 doors with Tudor and pointed arches. To west again, cusped ogee headed tomb recess with traceried crest and pinnacles, and 2 life-size alabaster effigies to Sir William De La Pole, 1366, and Lady Katharine, 1381. Beyond, a canopied tomb recess opening into the Broadley Chapel, with cusped opening, buttress shafts and crockets. North aisle has stained-glass east window c1860. Crossing has clustered piers with filleted round shafts with hollows between them, and moulded arches with hoodmoulds. Elaborate painted lierne vault. East arch has Perpendicular style wooden screen, 1900, and the north-east pier has an ogee headed rood loft door with finial. South arch has the C15 chancel screen, now glazed, restored 1846 and resited 1900. Above it, a C20 organ case. North arch has a 3-tower organ case, c1876, resited 1908, with a Tudor arch to the passage below it. Transepts have to east and west moulded arches with hoodmoulds and quatrefoil piers with filleted shafts. All except the north-eastern arch have been heightened. Eastern arches have traceried C15 screens. Low pitched arch-braced roofs, C19. South transept has central doorway flanked by single C20 stained-glass windows, and main south window with stained glass, 1892. West side has a C19 chamfered doorway. East side has a doorway flanked by single leaded windows, all with ogee heads, to the Broadley Chapel. Above, stained-glass window, 1907. North transept has a draught screen to the north door. West side has a stained-glass window, 1924. East side has 2 cusped recesses, probably piscinas, and a lattice panelled door with depressed ogee head. Broadley Chapel (formerly De La Pole Chapel), restored mid C20, has low pitched roof with fleurons. East end has a 3-light memorial window, c1920, flanked to left by a canopied vaulted niche with a figure. South side has to east a cusped and crocketed piscina and 2 memorial windows c1920. North side has canopied and buttressed tomb recess opening into south choir aisle. Nave has 8 bay arcades with slender piers with 4 round shafts with hollows between them. Small foliate capitals and moulded arches with hoodmoulds and angel tops. Clerestorey has 16 triple lancets with bar tracery, hoodmoulds and sill band. Restored low pitched roof with cambered tie beams, bosses and painted panels. West end has C19 stained-glass window with crenellated sill band, and segmental arched inner porch with draught screen topped by the Royal arms. Aisles have similar roofs to nave, with unpainted panels. South aisle has near-central doorway to south porch and above it, stained-glass window, 1952, by HJ Stammers. To its left, a 4-centred arched opening to the former Alcock Chantry. To left again, 2 stained-glass windows, 1897 and c1907, by Walter Crane. FITTINGS include C14 octagonal font with concave sided crocketed gables and figure carving, and buttressed minor shafts. Marble topped carved communion table and relief carved wooden reredos, c1770. Octagonal stone pulpit with gabled niches in Decorated style, and curved stone stair and balustrade, 1846, by HF Lockwood. Huge brass eagle lectern with richly decorated platform and steps, 1847, by George Parker. Late C19 choir stalls incorporate C14 and C15 bench ends, some of them carved. Large oil painting, 1811, by James Parmentier, reduced in size. MEMORIALS include resited effigy, c1380, to Eleanor Box, and brass with half-length figures, 1451, to Richard and Margaret Byll. Bust in pedimented surround with columns, 1624, to Thomas Whincop. Tablet with inscribed drapery, 1718, to Mark Kirby. Tablet with cartouche and seated female figure, 1772, to Nathaniel Maister. Marble and ashlar tablet, 1812, by John Earle to Henry Maister. Bust on pedestal, 1837, to William Woolley, and tablet to John Parker, 1841, both by WD Keyworth Snr. Marble and slate tablet showing the church organ, 1838, to George Lambert, organist. Freestanding monument with bust and an angel assisting a man, to Thomas Ferres, 1859; tablet, 1860 to John Appleyard; arch topped monument with angel and 2 children, 1860, to J W Grey; urn flanked by 2 mourning women, 1876, to Thomas Earle; all by Thomas Earle of Hull. Outside, boundary wall on north, south and west sides. C19. Ashlar with moulded plinth, coping and rounded corners. To west, a pair of octagonal ashlar gatepiers with cross-gabled caps and a pair of late C20 metal gates. On the south side, a similar gateway. To east a single gateway on the north and south sides. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire; York and the East Riding: London: 1972-: 268-271; Gunniss R: Dictionary of British Sculptors: London: 1970-: 137 & 227).
Listing NGR: TA0996328554
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953), 137 & 227
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 268-71
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing