Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292457.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 02:29:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54200 29353



SD5429SW CHURCH STREET 941-1/12/81 (South side) 27/09/79 Church of St John the Divine


Parish church. 1853-55, by E.H.Shellard; altered. Sandstone ashlar (now emphatically pointed), slate roofs. Nave with north and south aisles, west steeple with porch on north side, chancel with north organ-house and south chapel, and vestry attached to chapel. Decorated style, with reticulated tracery in 2-centred arched windows which have hoodmoulds with figured stops, and numerous crocketed pinnacles. The tall 3-stage tower has a moulded plinth and string course, set-back buttresses, a small 2-light west window, a cusped lancet to the 2nd stage and large diamond clock-faces on the north and south sides, a belfry stage with 2 windows in each side, all with stone louvres and crocketed gablets, a cornice with prominent gargoyles, and a parapet with corner pinnacles linked by short flying buttresses to smaller pinnacles clasping the spire; the tall octagonal spire has 2-light gableted lucarnes at the base and small lucarnes on 2 levels above. On the north side of the tower, an elaborate 2-storey gabled porch which has a doorway moulded in 2 orders under a hoodmould with large angel stops and a crocketed gablet containing mouchettes, flanked by crocketed niches, and at 1st floor a 2-light window flanked by cusped blind windows. The nave, of 5 bays plus a half-bay at the east end, has buttresses finished as pinnacles on the parapet, a pair of 2-light clerestory windows in each full bay and one in the half-bay, and octagonal pinnacles at the east end; the aisles have buttresses finished as gablets, and large 3-light windows with tracery in alternating patterns, and the western bay of the south aisle has a cusped doorway. The 3-bay chancel has diagonal buttresses at the east end finished with pinnacles, a large 5-light east window, a 3-light window on the north side, and a parapet with zig-zag open-work; attached in parallel on the north side of the chancel, a tall 2-bay organ house which has 3-light windows in the north side, a large 4-light east window, a similar parapet and corner pinnacles, and a steeply-pitched roof; and the 3-bay south chapel, coupled with the south side of the chancel, has buttresses, a 4-light east window, and 3-light windows in the south side mostly obscured by the parallel vestry (which has a doorway at the west end, a traceried 3-light window at the east end, and coupled lancets in the side). INTERIOR: five-and-a-half bay aisle arcades of quatrefoil piers with nobbly leaf capitals carrying 2-centred arches moulded in 2 orders, with hoodmoulds linked by figured stops, the arches of the half-bay dying into the chanel wall; chancel arch and 3-bay arcades in similar style, but with moulded annular caps to the columns and 3 orders of moulding to the arches, and a clerestory of 4+4 cusped lights to the organ house; hammer-beam roofs to both nave and chancel; gallery at west end of nave, carried on large timber girders with mouchette tracery, with cusped blind arcaded panelling to the front (formerly similar galleries in aisles removed in 1960s, leaving only the corbels on the piers). Monuments include a wall tablet to Dame Mary Hoghton (d.1719/20) in the chancel and 3 monumental slabs to other members of Hoghton family at the east end of nave (1719/20, 1768, 1772); in the chapel there is a large wall monument to the Rev.Roger Carus Wilson (d.1839) elaborately carved in Gothic style including reliefs of 5 Preston churches built during his incumbency; in the tower there is a Gothic tomb-recess to Thomas Starkie Shuttleworth (d.1819) and others to various civic dignitaries.

Listing NGR: SD5419729358


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11036/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].