YARMOUTH CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1292631
Date first listed:
28-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
YARMOUTH CASTLE, QUAY STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292631.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 16:07:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
YARMOUTH CASTLE, QUAY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Yarmouth
National Grid Reference:
SZ 35388 89774

Details

YARMOUTH

SZ3589 QUAY STREET 1354-0/10/383 (North side) Yarmouth Castle

I

Former coastal fort now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Begun after the French raid of 1545, the last of Henry VIII's coastal forts and in use by 1547. Builder George Mills. The arrow-headed bastion was a new departure in fortifications and the first to be built in England. c.1560. The building was modified by Richard Worsley, Captain of the Island and minor alterations were made in the following century until c.1670 when Sir Robert Holmes, Governor of the Island filled in the moat, renewed additions and established the present entrance. It was garrisoned until 1885. Built of ashlar, part of south front red brick. Square in plan with sides nearly 100 feet long and sharply pointed bastion at South east corner. North and west walls face the sea, South and east sides originally were protected by a moat. The original entrance was to the east with 4 centred arched entrance with carved royal coat of arms above. The present entrance in the south side also has a 4 centred archway. To the right is the early C17 gunner's lodging and brick magazine of c.1718 which has a beehive-shaped roof. To the left is the Master Gunner's house of c1560 with top storey added in 1609. This is of ashlar with renewed slate roof having gable ends with kneelers. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Attic floor has gabled dormers with kneelrs. Mullioned windows 4 centred arched doorcase to left hand side. Ground floor kitchen has massive wooden lintel to fireplace and bread-oven. Corner has garderobe pit. One 1st floor chamber has a C17 stone fireplace with plain chamfer end beam with ovolo moulding and bar stops. The other chamber has a 4 centred arched fireplace and beam with heart shaped stops (1609), 4 centred arched fireplace with high stops and relieving arch and small garderobe chamber in the corner with square- headed opening. Attic room over kitchen has renewed roof of scalloped principal rafters and tie beam with heart-shaped stop. Attic room over parlour has C17 brick fireplace and plain collar beam roof. To the right hand side in the Long Room of 1632 constructed on top of 4 earlier barrel vaults. This is of brick with tiled roof and has a roof structure with tie beams and collar. The platform was constructed between 1559-1565 to carry all the heavier armament of the castle parapet with parapet of 1632. Its rounded internal angles date from 1813. It has the remains of 4 rails from the traversing carriage of C19 guns. (S E Rigold: Yarmouth Castle 2nd edition 1978 an English Heritage handbook; V C H Hampshire: 289; N Pevsner: B O E Hampshire: 776 - 777).

Listing NGR: SZ3538889774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393277
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1912), 289
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 776-777
Rigold, S E, 'English Heritage Handbook' in Yarmouth Castle, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12356/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].