CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1292943
Date first listed:
13-Dec-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jun-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1292943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 09:52:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 54155 94188

Details

LOWESTOFT

TM59SW CHURCH ROAD 914-1/3/1 (North side) 13/12/49 Church of St Margaret (Formerly Listed as: ST MARGARET'S ROAD (North side) Church of St Margaret)

I

Parish church. West tower early C14; nave, aisles and chancel late C15, south aisle re-built 1870 by JL Clemence, restored 1899 by Bodley. Flint with ashlar dressings. Roof not visible. 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. 2-light Y-tracery west window, lancet to ringing chamber and one 2-light Y-tracery belfry window to each side. Crenellated flushwork parapet and needle spire of 1954 (replacing one of 1483). Nave aisles with 3-light Perpendicular windows separated by stepped flushwork buttresses, 4-light windows to east and west ends. 2-light cusped clerestory windows. One tall 3-light transomed chancel window north and south and a 5-light east window. Angle buttresses to corners of aisles and chancel. 2-storey south porch entered through a moulded archway. Angle buttresses. Flushwork panelling to south face and a 2-light upper-floor window. Stair tower to west, also with flushwork panelling. The porch has a tierceron rib vault with bosses. INTERIOR. 6-bay nave arcade comprising lozenge piers on high polygonal bases supporting continuous wave-moulded arches. Continuous crested tie beam roof with false hammerbeams decorated with gilded angels bearing inscriptions, all restored 1899. Chamfered and hollow-moulded tower arch. No chancel arch. Octagonal C15 font with standing figures in cusped niches in the stem. Each bowl panel has figures of 2 standing saints. Font cover 1940. Brasses of a man and wife in south aisle, c1540, civilian dress. 2 skeleton brasses also in south aisle, early C16. Chancel with bench sedilia under a fleuron cornice. Ogeed piscina with square hood and carved spandrels. In south-east chapel is a wall monument to Captain Utber, commander of the frigate Guernsey in 1665 when he was killed while engaging the Dutch and Danish fleets off Norway. East window glass by Heaton, Butler & Bayne, 1891.

Listing NGR: TM5415594188

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391277
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05733/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].