HOPE CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1293087

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: HOPE CHAPEL, HOPE CHAPEL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOPE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293087 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 21:34:16.

Location

Statutory Address: HOPE CHAPEL, HOPE CHAPEL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 56907 72665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5672NE HOPE CHAPEL HILL, Hotwells 901-1/13/1437 (North side) 08/01/59 Hope Chapel

II

Congregational chapel, now hall. 1786. Possibly by Daniel Hague. Altered, largely refenestrated and extended 1838. Render over Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, hipped slate roof. Hall and N vestry wing. A symmetrical 4-bay S front has clasping pilasters with round-topped sunken panels separated by a lozenge, to a cornice and parapet, raised and pedimented to the centre; 2 central 4-centre arched doorways linked by a hoodmould, with large foliate stops and ribbed doors, beneath two 3-light, and flanking 2-light, windows with cusped, intersecting tracery. 5-bay W elevation of Y-tracery windows with a transom quatrefoil panel. Similar E elevation. Vestry of 1838 has 6/6-pane sash windows. INTERIOR: hall with a balcony on 4 sides with quatrefoil panels, on cast-iron columns with fluted, moulded capitals; organ recess to north end at gallery level; queen post truss roof. Founded by Ladies Hope and Glenorchy for Calvinistic evangelical worship, and linked to Hague by similar window details at St Paul's Portland Square. Extended by a single bay to the N in 1838, when the windows were replaced. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 176; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 412; An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels...in Central England: Stell C: Gloucestershire: London: 1986-: 63).

Listing NGR: ST5690772665

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379793

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 63
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 176
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 412

End of official listing