CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1293238
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND BOUNDARY WALL, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293238.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:26:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND BOUNDARY WALL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 11812 32934, TA 11812 32949

Details

KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA1132NE CHURCH STREET, Sutton 680-1/12/451 (North side) 13/10/52 Church of St James and boundary wall (Formerly Listed as: KINGSTON UPON THAMES CHURCH STREET, Sutton Church of St James)

I

Parish church. Nave and south aisle c1347, west tower and aisle west bays c1400; roofs, chancel arch, east window and arcades renewed, and vestry added 1866 during restoration by RG Smith, Borough Engineer. Organ chamber 1883 by Smith & Brodrick of Hull, reusing 2 chancel windows. Tower restored, parapet and pinnacles renewed 1886. Brick and coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Chancel with vestry and organ chamber, nave with aisles, west tower. Buttressed chancel, 4 bays, has plinth, chamfered eaves and coped gable. east end has a C19 four-light Decorated lancet with hoodmould and stepped sill band. South side has to east 3 flat-headed triple lancets with Decorated tracery and to west a smaller untraceried double lancet with flat head. North side has to east a blocked shouldered doorway. Buttressed lean-to vestry has coped gable and to north a partly blocked double lancet with hoodmould. Adjoining organ chamber of similar design has a side wall brick stack. To east, a Decorated triple lancet and to west, a plain double lancet, both with flat heads. Windowless nave has coped east gable, and crenellated brick parapet to south. South aisle, 4 bays, has plinth, gabled buttresses, string course, and similar crenellated parapet. Off-centre moulded doorway with hoodmould, flanked to left by a plain triple lancet and to right by 2 larger triple lancets with ogee headed lights. All have flat-headed surrounds, the 2 to east with label moulds. Lower west bay has angle buttress, plain parapet and coped gable. To south, a plain triple lancet with flat head and label mould. To west, an untraceried Perpendicular double lancet with label mould. North aisle has plain lean-to roof and ungabled buttresses. Similar fenestration with larger restored doorway and hoodmould. Higher west bay has angle buttress and coped brick parapet. West end has an untraceried Perpendicular double lancet with label mould. Embraced west tower, 2 stages, has moulded plinth, angle buttresses, quoins, string courses and crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Moulded deeply recessed west door with hoodmould, and above it, a 5-light lancet with panel tracery and hoodmould. At the head of the lower stage, a small loop. To south, a clock. Bell stage has on each side a double lancet louvred bell opening with chamfered reveal. Outside, to south, low brick boundary wall with stone coping and renewed railing. Off-centre square gatepiers with stone caps. Approx 70m long. INTERIOR; chancel has double chamfered arch with half-octagonal piers, and strutted arch-braced roof on corbels. East end has stained-glass window, 1873, with sill band, and Decorated style stone reredos with crocketed central gable. North side has organ chamber opening flanked by pilasters with stiff-leaf capitals. To east, C19 shouldered chamfered doorway flanked by single flat-headed triple lancets. To east again, a chamfered C14 aumbry with hoodmould. South side has a C19 cusped double sedilia, and to west 3 windows with late C19 stained glass. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers and capitals and double chamfered arches. Scissor trussed arch-braced roof with wall shafts on corbels. West end has double cove moulded tower arch large diagonally set canted piers with Perpendicular style blind arcading. Flanking arches to the aisles are of similar design. East arch has reset C15 wooden screen. Aisles have arch-braced lean-to roofs and double chamfered arches into the west bays. South aisle has to east a cusped piscina and a reset and restored shaft piscina. East and southeast windows have stained glass, mid and late C19. North aisle has to east a gabled aumbry and a stained-glass east window, 1865. North-east windows have stained glass, late C19 and 1906, by Kempe. Fittings include C13 tub font with nailhead band on renewed octagonal stem. C19 traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit with ogee canopies and alabaster shafts. Brass eagle lectern, 1888. Memorials include chest tomb c1349, with shields in quatrefoil panels and armoured effigy with shield, to Sir John de Sutton. Marble and slate tablet with coat of arms, 1830, and similar tablet with portrait medallion, 1834. Various marble and slate tablets, late C18 and early C19. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York & the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 280; Church Guide).

Listing NGR: TA1181032950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387496
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04220/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].