THE ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1293743
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1947
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Feb-1991
Statutory Address:
THE ALMSHOUSES, MEADROW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1293743.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:39:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE ALMSHOUSES, MEADROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Godalming
National Grid Reference:
SU 98184 44808

Details

GODALMING MEADROW SU 9844 (east side) 3/163 The Almshouses, Wyatt's Close (formerly listed as 18.12.47 Wyatt's Almshouses) GV I 10 almshouses, now 8 flats, with chapel. 1622 for founder Richard Wyatt (Master Carpenter of the Carpenters' Company of London); altered C20. Orange-red brick in English bond, some Bargate rubblestone; plain tile roofs. 2 storeys; 10 single-cell almshouses flanking central, projecting gabled chapel. Symmetrical facade. Moulded plinth. To each cell a round-arched board door with chamfered architrave and a 3-light, chamfered brick-mullioned casement window with stanchions and diamond-leaded lights to each floor, those on 1st floor under gables. Chapel has central entrance, with later panelled door in surround as before set in chamfered flat-arched recess with hoodmould; above it are tripled arched windows in stone surround having stone sill, old glazing 'hoodmould' and clock face in head of central window; chamfered recess above has painted panel with coat of arms and inscription recording foundation. Raised verges with stone coping; 10 stacks with coupled flues to rear; weather-vane to chapel gable. Rear: ground floor of rubblestone, the whole dominated by the external stacks of galleted rubblestone with brick plinths, quoins and upper parts, which have offsets and coupled diagonally-set flues with tabling. Between stacks are paired doors (to each cell) in stop-chamfered timber surrounds, some battened board doors surviving but others now windows,all now having weather-boarded lean-to porches. In the side of each stack is a squint fire-window (lighting inglenook). Chapel has segmental-arched window opening, the window with arched central light, and chamfered slit vent to gable. Returns: each gable has a small chamfered window. Interior: almshouses have chamfered, Tudor-arched, brick fireplaces, with side bread-ovens to the large, ground-floor fireplaces; stop- chamfered joists; brick partition walls supporting cross-beams. Chapel: braced, collared-rafter roof trusses with central, chamfered and stopped tie-beam; benches along walls fronted by panelled rails, that on right having newel-type end-post supporting hexagonal, iron-mnwi collecting box; plain box pulpit to rear wall; Commandment Tables on rear walls; Coat of Arms in rear window; on right wall, brass commemorating the gift of Richard Wyatt (d.1619) depicts Wyatt and his children (all kneeling).

Listing NGR: SU9818444808

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
291443
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10661/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ray Pettit. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].