Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1294190.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 17:08:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 02477 84546


PILTON TL0284 16/102 Church of St. Mary and All 25/05/67 Saints GV II*

Church. Late C12, late C13, chancel 1864, church restored 1875. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar chancel and spire. Slate and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range of 2-light windows with buttresses between. Steep gabled roof with gable parapets, kneelers and finial. 4-light east window with shafts, cusped circles and carved label stops. North elevation of chancel is similar to south. South aisle of 3 bays, 2-window range of 2-light windows with quatrefoil circles, that to right is late G13, that to left is restored C19. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet and 2 small gargoyles. Similar 3-light east window with trefoil circles. C13 gabled porch in centre bay has single-chamfered outer doorway with nail-head decoration and 2 small shields, with Tresham arms, to either side. Inner doorway is late C12 with single order of shafts with waterleaf capitals and zig-zag decoration to arch. North aisle of 3 bays; one 3-light window to left has 4-centred arch head and carved label stops. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapets. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. C19 lean-to vestry in centre bay has 2-light square-head window. Decorated nave clerestory is a 2-window range of 2-light square-head windows with cusped lozenges in the tracery. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapet and 2 small gargoyles. Plain octagonal flue to north-east corner. Late C13 west tower of 3 stages with plinth and 2-stage clasping buttresses. West doorway with 2 orders of filleted shafts and arch mouldings. Lancet window above. Small lancet window to north, south and west faces of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have Y-tracery and cluster shafts. Corbel table and broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of C15 double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers, and polygonal responds. One capital to south has nailhead decoration; capitals to north, restored C19. Double-chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds and double-chamfered tower arch with plain responds and flanking single-stage buttresses. C19 nave and chancel roofs with arched-braced trusses and carved stone corbels. Aisle roofs may contain some earlier timbers. C19 reredos to altar has cusped circle, and lancet decoration. Piscina with cusped head in south aisle. Octagonal font with octagonal shaft having decorated band at base. C19 floor tiles. Choir stalls given by Lord Lilford late C19 have poppy heads representing birds and animals and symbolising Lord Lilfords ornithological interest. C19 stained glass east windows of chancel and south aisle, and south windows of chancel; north oval windows of chancel are painted. Monuments: John Hewitt, died 1799, and tablet in north aisle Ann Jenour, died 1839, marble tablet alongside by Swan of Oundle. Various C19 brass tablets relating to the Powys family of Lilford Hall (q.v.). Thomas Littleton Selby died 1878, brass plaque in north aisle indicates that he was agent for Lord Lilford and Architect for the restoration of the Church 1874. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.372; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.132).

Listing NGR: TL0247784546


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 372
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 132


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04494/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kirkpatrick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].